Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

Candlewick Embroidery

I've always done candlewicking with an off-white thread, thought that this was the traditional way to stitch my pieces, but lately I've been seeing pictures of candlewick projects done in colored candlewicking thread. Is this something new? Is it still authentic, traditional candlewicking if done in any color other than the off-white?
Thank you for your responses.
Sandy
Sandy

Re: Candlewick Embroidery

Hi, Sandy -

Candlewicking came about because the thread used for making wicks for candles was less expensive than buying specialty embroidery thread. So the original candlewicking thread was the color of the candle wick, an off-white-ish thread. Today, with the abundance of embroidery supplies and threads available, people have adapted the style of candlewicking to the vast amounts of materials available, taking advantage of colors and textures and thread types. But, the original candlewicking was done with a very plain thread, and frankly, I think that's where its beauty lies - in its simplicity.

Hope that helps!

MC
MaryCorbet

Hi Joanne and Mary,

I grabbed at the candlewick question immediately because this is one area that I have had a lot of trouble finding patterns for. I've thought using my inventory of quilting patterns but feel there must be something more than those. What do either of you suggest for candlewicking patterns?
Doreen
Doreen

Hi, Doreen -

Well, I don't have anything that's specifically "candlewicking" but I think you could take some simple patterns and revamp them for candlewicking. For example, some of the "Scrolly" patterns on my patterns page could probably be adapted. Add some French knot accents, etc....

MC
MaryCorbet

Hi everyone,

I appreciate the beauty of candlewicking being done in the traditional off white thicker thread. I think it is beautiful. I really like the history behind many embroidery techniques and I believe that since we are hand embroidering it is important to keep the heritage of this art alive. I seem to be the only one in my neighborhood that likes to do embroidery, everyone here (Utah) quilts or cross-stitches. So I do alot of buying over the internet and am so glad I found this website. I check it every day.

Keep it up!
melbird72