Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

securing the string on a stretcher frame

Hi Everyone
I am using a stretcher frame for the first time and am having difficulty in securing the string after lacing. I have been told that a lacemaker's knot is the way to go but can't work out how to do that around a piece of wood. Can anyone help please. Thanks
cawdymaw

Re: securing the string on a stretcher frame

Well.... I suppose someone will have to come up with a more technical explanation than I'm getting ready to offer! On slate frames, I wind the excess string around the perpendicular bars at the corner, and then I do a sort of hitch-it-however-it-works-to-hold-the-string-tight kind of thing. I wind the string, run it through some of the wraps, and then pull out a loop, put the end of the string through, and pull it like a hitch knot of sorts.

Maybe someone knows of some specific knot name that works??!

Sorry for my sorry explanation! :-/
MaryCorbet

Half hitches after a couple of passes around the bar work great. Plus, if the string breaks, you can take it out, tie or move it. I usually do about 3 or 4 HH.
AnneG

Thanks, Anne. I think that's about how I do it, too. What kind of string do you use? I'm setting up a frame right now (well, this afternoon), but of course, I'm out of regular plain old string! But I do have a very strong, heavy linen string that will work, I think, so I'll probably use that, rather than making a trip to the store.
MaryCorbet

Hi, Mary, I use a Japanese lacing thread since I have a whole ball.
But, I just ran across someone mentioning kite string. That sounds like a great idea.
Will the linen thread pull apart?
AnneG