Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

French knot vs. colonial knot

Greetings Stitchers,

I'm rather a hack embroiderer. Most of what I learned was as a girl scout 25 yrs ago. But now my kids are expressing strong opinions about what they want Mommy to make!

So, I'm working on a design of a wooly lamb on a dark green cotton napkin for my son to use in nursery school. It will see daily use and (at least) weekly washing. The lamb symbol allows the preliterate ones to find their places at table for snack daily.

So, I've drawn a lamb and plan to fill the body with creamy white knots to give it a "wooly" effect. Why would I choose a colonial (or other knot) over a french knot for this kind of fill work? Can someone please speak to the advantages of one over another? Any other suggestions for using knots to fill an area roughly 2-in x 1-in?

I plan to use a #5 perle cotton for wool and then regular stranded cotton with a satin stitch for legs, tail and little black face.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
Kristin
sewmeohmy

Re: French knot vs. colonial knot

Hi, Kristin! That sounds SO CUTE! I love lambs, and lambs embroidered in knots are the best!

French vs. colonial - I think it just depends on what you're most comfortable with. In looks, overall there's not that much of a difference between the two, unless you get really close and study the knots. So which one do you find easier? Which one works up faster for you? That's the type of question I'd ask myself, and then go with whichever answer works out!

I know that's not the best and most decisive advice in the world, is it?

Best of luck with your lambs - and feel free to post pictures!

~MC
MaryCorbet

Re: French knot vs. colonial knot

I saw some very cute, downright adorable embroidered lambs on the internet somewhere a few weeks ago. If I could remember WHERE, at 3:00 am, I saw them, I'd gladly credit the source, but haven't been able to find anymore, alas ... But, instead of French or Colonial knots, the "curly fur" of the little lambs was created by sewing on little tiny pearl buttons; white, ivory, grey, black, brown etc. depending on color of lamb. Faces and legs were simple cross stitches, with a bit of grass. A few flowers in the grass were also cross stitch stems and leaves, with colored buttons for the flowers. Just the cutest things I've seen in a long time; might be cute for your towel.
Cathy in PA