Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

Cleaning completed stumpwork

Hi all,
I have just completed Jane Nicholas' Medieval Mirror 1 and despite lots of care, I have ended up with fold marks and "dirty" marks around the edge of the work. Some of the "marks" are where I had to undo stitches or redo some of the work.
It is worked on ivory duchess satin with DMC threads and beads and a small amount of gold metallic thread.
I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me how to clean and iron this work before I send it away to be framed. All the detached pieces are in place.
Thanks so much. Cheers
Rosemary
Rosemary

Re: Cleaning completed stumpwork

Hi, Rosemary!

I read your question, and I sighed. It's hard to clean satin. And it's hard to clean stumpwork. And it's difficult to advise from far away! :? I don't want to give advice that may risk the project!

Perhaps there's someone out there who has dealt with the same issue? Have you thought about contacting Jane Nicholas and asking her advice? She may be able to give you the perfect solution, without having to go through a trial-and-error process. You might try that...

I did try an architect's cleaning pad once on silk satin, and it worked "ok" but there was no embroidery on the silk yet, and it wasn't the same type of problem (it was pencil markings). The pad has the same dry solution in it that is used in dry cleaning. But .... I think I'd definitely ask Jane first, and see if anyone here can offer a good solution, before trying something untried.

~MC
MaryCorbet

Thanks so much, Mary. I have contacted Jane as you suggested and she has given me some helpful tips.

I am happy to post these here on the forum if you think it appropriate.

Cheers
Rosemary
Rosemary

Ah yes, Rosemary! Please do - I think it will helpful for others as well!

They're really good, basic tips, and they apply to more than just stumpwork.

Thanks!

Mary
MaryCorbet

Hi all,
Here are the comments that Jane Nicholas sent me.

Jane said:
"I wish I had a cleaning solution for you but I am afraid that I have very few suggestions:

* When I finish a piece I often run over it with a fine upholstery nozzle of the vacuum cleaner. I tape a piece of organza over the nozzle to prevent any pieces being "sucked up" and adjust the power to low - and hold the nozzle just above the work. I am often amazed at how much "fluff" accumulates on the organza.

* Another option is to press Magic Tape over the surface - it often lifts a few surface marks.

* Before I take the piece out of the hoop or frame, I steam it from the back - this is in place of ironing. Use a reliable iron (with a clean tea towel draped over the back of the work, just in case) and make sure the steam penetrates through the work. Leave it for 24 hours to completely dry before removing. Another option is to wrap a damp cloth around a dry iron and produce steam that way. The steaming seems to refresh everything - background and embroidery.

* Finally- I find I always have a grubby mark at the edge of the hoop or frame - even though I clean my hands regularly. My solution is to cut the mount close to the embroidery to cover any creases or marks!

Hope one of the above helps in some way!"
Jane

I have tried the "steaming" one, and it has worked really well.

Thanks for your advice Mary - much appreciated.
Cheers
Rosemary
Rosemary