About

Mary Corbet

writer and founder

I learned to embroider when I was a kid, when everyone was really into cross stitch (remember the '80s?). Eventually, I migrated to surface embroidery, teaching myself with whatever I could get my hands on...read more

Contact Mary

Connect with Mary

Archives

2024 (39) 2023 (125) 2022 (136) 2021 (130) 2020 (132) 2019 (147) 2018 (146) 2017 (169) 2016 (147) 2015 (246) 2014 (294) 2013 (294) 2012 (305) 2011 (306) 2010 (316) 2009 (367) 2008 (352) 2007 (225) 2006 (139)

Nice Example of Stumpwork! & Interesting Stitch!

Amazon Books

I was squizzing around the internet this morning, reading a few posts on a couple embroidery and needlework blogs, when I came across a comment on one website that directed me to some really nice examples of stumpwork or dimensional embroidery.

I think I was on Sharon B’s embroidery / textile blog, In a Minute Ago, actually, but I’m not sure! Anyway, the comment was written by the writer of a blog written in Portuguese, called Qualquer Motivo, where I found some really nice examples of colorful embroidery. The one that really catches my eye is the fourth sample down, with the owl and sunflower. Very nice! But what really intrigues me is the stitch illustrated right below that.

It’s an interesting stitch – it looks like a combination of a chain stitch and turkey work, resulting in something similar to a granito, linked to another granito. Anyway, I’ve never seen it, and I thought it was neat! Have you ever seen the stitch, and do you know what it’s called? I’m curious!

Anyway, Valquiria has some really nice examples of needlework on her website, Qualquer Motivo, so if you get a chance, do check it out. If you scroll down the page, you’ll come to another example of stumpwork, with a buck, a castle, a tree, and a lady on it, among other things… take a look at it! If you like stumpwork, you’ll probably like it!

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

(1) Comments

1. Oh, what fun! I love the wrapped tree. 🙂

I ran the page through Google’s translator to give me a sense of what the text says. There might be an easier way, but I simply searched on “qualquer motivo” (it was the first hit for me on the results page) then clicked on ‘Translate this page’.

More Comments