Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

Where to begin a satin stitch

I am working on a monogram of the letter C from NeedlenThread. I have
attached the link.
https://www.needlenthread.com/2008/06/fr ... nd_27.html

I am using Coton Floche 16 since 20 is impossible to find locally.
The outlining is complete and now its time to pad then satin stitch.

How would you start the satin stitch taking into consideration the sharp angles? Would you start at the sharp point let's say the part of the C that nearly joins to the main flower or would you start at the "circle" part that creates the end of the letter?

Also, would it be advisable to satin stitch at an angle or keep the stitches horizontal?

Thank you!
WendiG

Re: Where to begin a satin stitch

Hi, Wendi -

Well, this is Very Rough, but I've marked in the stitch directions that I'd probably take. The heavier lines where the design splits is where you need to make sure you're aiming so that your "split" makes sense when you do it. The stitching there doesn't have to be as "horizontal" as it looks - the stitches at the split could be slightly more angled - but you don't want them so angled that the stitches right before the split are really long.

Again, it's really rough, but it should give you an idea. You'll want to start in the middle of the lower or the top section, on the left side of the C - don't start right on the end of the design in either case. Set in your angle, and then work towards the middle break in the design, then go back to your starting point, and then work the rest around the curves. This helps establish a good angle, and you'll get into the rhythm of stitching before you have to tackle the more difficult areas (the tighter curves, the split...)

Let me know if that helps or not - I'll see if I can make it clearer for you, if it doesn't!
Attachments
monogram-stitch-direction.jpg
monogram-stitch-direction.jpg (25.3 KiB) Viewed 3358 times
MaryCorbet

Mary,
This helps me out a lot. I had drawn in directional lines on my pattern and several of them lined up with what you did. Whew! However; my angle was different going towards the middle of the C as it was getting closer to petal. I had mine going at an 11 to 4 direction if you were looking at a clock and you have yours going 2 to 7. On the bottom of the C I took the angle from 2 to7. So I guess I did it completely opposite. I can see that It would create a break in the flow of the angle between the two parts of the C. My rationale for the way I did it was to help line up the satin stitch on the angle following the angle of the petal so that I wouldn't have to contend with making a teenie tiny stitch at the sharp points.
If you have the time can you explain the rationale as to the directional stitches that you chose. I'm a theory type of girl. I like knowing why someone chooses what they do.
Wendi
WendiG

Hi, Wendy -

You can do it either way. This way seems to keep a steady "flow" in the turning of the stitches, without having to turn them all the way around the compass. My aiming point was the design split, but I started stitching (in my mind's eye) on the left side of the C, and this seemed to me like the natural angle to start, probably because of the way I satin stitch. I don't think it would make a huge difference either way - and your slant on the left side might be a better approach. You'd end up having to fan your stitches quite a bit around the whole length of the curve, though, so I'm wondering if things might get a bit tight on the inside of the curve.

Because the petals turn, I think you will end up changing your angle on them, anyway. I wouldn't stitch them across the points with tiny stitches, either. I'd keep the same angle on each individual petal, in relation to the direction of the petal.

I might have to think about this a little more, to see if there's a definite reason for starting in one direction or the other on the left side of the C.... I'm thinking about compensating to keep the angle of the satin stitch..... but I'd have to actually think a little harder about it.... 6:30 isn't the time to do that! :-)

Anyone else have any thoughts?!
MaryCorbet

Mary,
I went ahead and completed the top part of the C following the angle you suggested and it worked out beautifully, my stitching on the other hand...

Wendi
WendiG

See if this helps. It is always easier for a right handed person to start at the top right to down left. The stitches seem to line up better. Anne
AnneG

Thank you Anne for the help. I will try going from top to bottom like you suggested. Wendi
WendiG