Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

Long/Short stitch: start/finish threads

Hi folks,

I'm slooowly learning how to do long and short (and satin!) stitch, but have a consistent problem with the last 'layer' of shading.
Especially when it's a small shape, I have difficulty with starting and finishing. We're told not to knot the thread, but by the end the fabric is covered by the previous layer's work, and there's no fabric left to make hidden starting running stitch. Finishing is not as much of a problem, but those long stitches don't 'feel' so secure to weave through.

Can anyone offer some advice?
Thanks!
Tessa from Stellenbosch
StelliesTessa

Re: Long/Short stitch: start/finish threads

Hey, Tessa, Well, in Japanese Embroidery, we do make a small, knot, then hold the stitch in place with a pinhead stitch. You could take 2 or 3 small, pinhead stitches, near to where you are beginning the stitching so they won't interfere with the following stitches. I separate already done stitches, higher up one the motif with my tekobari, then put small, holding stitches in there to finish as well. I wouldn't feel like the stitching was secure by weaving through, as you can with confidence say with counted thread that is small, even close stitches. Just a though, AnneG
AnneG

Re: Long/Short stitch: start/finish threads

Thanks, AnneG, I'll try that.
I must admit, I didn't think of using an additional tool, I'm already feeling like I need an extra hand, but I'm sure even an octopus feels the same way sometimes :lol:
Tessa
StelliesTessa