[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
View topic - Sock Monkey Eyes - Satin Stitch? – Needle'nThread.com
Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

Sock Monkey Eyes - Satin Stitch?

Mary, I watched your excellent video on satin stitch & you said not to use this stitch to fill a large area. How large is too large?

I was going to satin stitch the eyes on a sock monkey I'm making. The eyes will be circles (maybe a slight oval shape), about 1/2" in diameter. I did a padded satin stitch on a monkey a few years ago and it was okay, but not great. I used #5 black pearl cotton.

If I can't satin stitch the eyes, what other stitch could I do?

It's tricky, too, because you're stitching into the stuffed head of the monkey. It's not as if the fabric can be hooped! I've always found embroidering facial details is challenging into a "softie" head and use button eyes when the sock monkey is going to someone older, but for young children, I don't like to use buttons or anything detachable. Any other suggestions for embroidering into a soft, stuffed surface?

Many thanks!
Laurie
Laurie

Re: Sock Monkey Eyes - Satin Stitch?

Laurie, I've embroidered eyes on dolls before by doing
what shows in this YouTube video (link below), you may want to fast forward it about 2 minutes to the part about embroidering the eyes. Like in the video, I too use stranded embroidery floss
Hope it helps!
Life and Crafts, handmade and not by chance!
My New Blog:
My 1st Bambina!

Re: Sock Monkey Eyes - Satin Stitch?

Thanks so much for the link. The eyes she made were smaller than what I had planned on this sock monkey, but I think I may just satin stitch the pupils and backstitch an outline for the rest of the eyeball. I will use floss this time; it may lie flatter than the #5 perle cotton.

Thanks again!
Laurie
Laurie