Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

Filling stitches

I am new to embroidery and am currently working on a project, a set of guest towels with a Christmas candle motif. The instructions are not all that clear except to show arrows to each section and "satin stitch." However, some areas (the candle and candle holder areas) are quite large, so I'm confused. In order to fill in this area, should I use a satin stitch and kind of vary the length of the stitches all the while filling in the area, and also, how would be the best way to cover my outline stitches? I really think that just using a satin stitch (padded satin stitch) would make too wide a stitch in some areas. Suggestions please!
Mollysatin

Re: Filling stitches

Molly - you're right. Satin stitch shouldn't be used to fill large areas. The thread shouldn't carry more than an inch, I'd say, and that's at a stretch. At an inch, something should either anchor it down, or it should be highly padded in order to add friction and tension.

In some instructional books and pamphlets, satin stitch and "long and short satin stitch" are used interchangeably. I wonder if this is what your instructions are talking about - using long and short stitch? In any case, there are other types of stitches you can use for filling. For example, stem stitch worked in close rows makes a very nice filling. You can see a picture of stem stitch filling on the stem stitch how-to video page, here: https://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10/em ... -stem.html

Maybe that will work better for you than satin stitch?

~MC
MaryCorbet

Re: Filling stitches

Thank you Mary. I measured the widest spot of my diagram and it was exactly an inch. Therefore, I used the padded satin stitch, using 2 threads to do the padding stitches and 1 thread to actually finish off the satin stitch. Actually, it looked much better than I figured it would. I will do some practice with the stem stitch filling so I can incorporate it into some of my later projects.

I am so happy that I found your website. Your videos and instructions have been so very helpful to me. Your FAQ site is a great resourse also. Thanks again for your help!
Mollysatin