[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
View topic - floss for church linen embroidery? – Needle'nThread.com
Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

floss for church linen embroidery?

I have done embroidery for a number of years, but am about to do my first church linen embroidery. Which floss would be best for white on white embroidery on fine linen. I am concerned about the wear factor since some of these linens may be used for decades. Linda
LCJ

Re: floss for church linen embroidery?

Hi,

What is it that you are making? An altar cloth? A pall? You have to consider how the things will be washed, too. What type of linen will you be stitching on? How fine is it, etc.?

That will help determine the type of thread, I think.

Thanks!

MC
MaryCorbet

I will be making a fair linen, corporals, purificators and lavabo towels with linen that is 141 threads per square inch and weighs 4.4 ounces.

As you mention, the linens will need to be washed, some more often than others. It will require quite a lot of time to do the embroidery and so I want the floss to be appropriate to the task and to last a long time.

DMC is what I have thought I should use, but wanted the opinions of others who have done this type of work.
Thanks for your input, Mary.
LCJ

For white on white, I prefer using coton a broder. You can also use silk, of course, but whitework is always beautiful in coton a broder, I think. The higher numbered sizes (if you can find 35 & 40, that's great, but I don't think they're available anymore in the States - #30 is about the highest you'll find here) are best to work with if you're planning something detailed. Lacis (www.lacis.com) has DMC coton a broder in #30. It's under "materials" in their catalog on their site, under "Needlework, DMC etc." - scroll down until you come to "Cutwork Thread" and you'll see the various sizes they stock: 16, 20, 25, and 30. The higher the number, the finer the thread.

MC
MaryCorbet

Thanks Mary!!
LCJ

I second Coton a broder. It makes a HUGE difference. Better coverage and great satin stitch and even for padding. It seems to be softer than DMC embroidery 6 strand.
Also, use a laying tool. You will be pleased that the strands lay neater.
One other thing. Keep the purificators simple. Everybody mistreats them, so you don't want to see your beautiful embroidery messed up. My pastor keeps the ones I made just for himself and only lets one person wash them.
AnneG

Great to know. I appreciate your input, Anne!
LCJ

Anne and Mary -

Is coton a broder the same/better than floche a broder I can get the floche locally, but will need to order the other online?

Kathryn
KathrynK in Blacklick
KempCor

Great question, Kathryn!
LCJ

Hi, Kathryn -

"Floche a broder" and "coton a broder" are two different threads.

Floche is a 5-ply softly twisted, non-divisible (actually, it can be divided, but it isn't usually) mercerized cotton thread that comes in a wide range of colors. It is size 16, and not available in other sizes.

Coton a broder is a 4-ply softly twisted, non-divisible, mercerized thread that comes in various sizes, from 12 (no longer made) through 40 (also hard to find in the US - not sure if it's made anymore) - the higher the number, the finer the thread. Most sizes come in white and ecru, although #25 comes in a small range of other colors.

Coton a broder is not as soft as floche, though it is still soft. Coton a broder is also sometimes listed as "cutwork" or whitework thread.

For whitework, I'd stick with coton a broder. If Hedgehog is local for you, then call Joady and ask her if she happens to have any coton a broder ("cutwork") threads in different sizes stock. She often has things in stock that are not listed on her website. But I don't know if she carries them. I know she had a special order for them a while ago and had some left over, but ... heh heh .... I think I bought them all! Still, she may have ordered more!

Otherwise, Lacis is your best bet for coton a broder "cutwork" threads. I'd get a range of sizes - 16, 20, 25, & 30, because you'll find that you can mix the sizes for different parts of a whitework design, to good effect.

Hope that helps!

MC
MaryCorbet