Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

Pearl Cotton & Satin Stitch

Am working on embroidering some terry towels using 6 stranded floss for presents. So you start talking about satin stitch and I am using this (6 strands) in the towels and am totally disatisfied with the quality of the stitching. What size of pearl cotton is equivalent to 6 strands? Would this be suitable substitute? Don't want to spend a lot of money to buy new thread for these towels. The next two sets have a significant amount of work in statin stitch. Thanks!
mjh

Re: Pearl Cotton & Satin Stitch

Hi, MJ - I'd work with a #5 pearl cotton under those circumstances. It's available in a good range of colors, generally - if you can't find them in a local shop, you can find all the colors available online through places like Herrschners for a reasonable price.

Hope that helps a bit!

MC
MaryCorbet

I thought about the pearl cotton & all that you have written about satin stitch. The towel projects have 2 agendas...Christmas presents & bringing back my embroidery skills. So I decided to bit the bullet, do it right, & ordered the floche from Hedgehog today. The cost was about equal too...Everyday I learn something new from you! Thanks, MJ
mjh

I hope you like the floche! I've been stitching with it lately, too.... just love the stuff!
MaryCorbet