Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

Identification of a hand-embroidered piece

Hi,
I would like to know if anyone can identify the hand embroidery on the placemat "pictures" I'm attaching. These are scanned on a copier and placed as photos in my computer file for "my pictures." I do not have an appropriate camera nor other device to take a photo.
One of the files has an almost complete picture of the placemat. The other just a portion. They can both be magnified larger to see closer. They are not great, but might do the trick.
This is placemat from a set that was given to my mother-in-law by a wealthy lady in Pennsylvania over 60 years ago. The set was already old then! It is done on absolutely exquisite linen--the type that is used in children's vintage baptismal clothing and such. It looks absolutely new even today.
I'd love to know if it has some identifying type of embroidery--Italian, whatever--so I can inform my sister-in-law who was given this set by her mother recently. My mother-in-law does not remember if she even knew its origin, and the lady who gave it to her passed away a long time ago.
Thank you for any information you can give me. I know the pictures aren't great, so I'm not too hopeful. Whatever comments you can offer will be appreciated.
Thank you, Mary, for having this service so that we can ask and share and learn.
Doris HH
DorisHH