[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
View topic - Grandma's WIPs – Needle'nThread.com
Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

Grandma's WIPs

I am in desperate need of help. I was given my Grandma's WIPs some years ago, couldn't say no to my Mum. I don't really like the fabric colour, although the fabric itself is very soft (though it might not look it).
The trouble is I am sad at them just being stuck in the cupboard so I'd like to finish/do them. There are three cushion covers (one not started) and two armchair arm rest covers, barely started.
I don't have a lot of experience with embroidery (but have successfully completed a Chatelaine Mandala with some speciality stiches and beads and stuff, in addition to my much loved cross stitch projects).
My biggest problem is understanding what is 'done' in the pieces and what is groundwork for (e.g.) padded satin stitch. In addition, Grandma seems to have used different styles for the same part of the pattern, totally confusing me! She wasn't so well in the last few years, which might explain why some satin stitch seems to have been done with a whole floss, rather than 2-3 threads (or is that something usual for embroidery??).

I am hoping I have done the photo link correctly so that you can see what I mean (I linked to Flickr so that the pictures can stay a suitable size for you to see the stitches). I
have annotated a couple to highlight what I mean, but those of you in the know will see why I am confused I am sure.

I hunted around on the net to see if I could find a completed version of these but no luck.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Susan
thimblethumbs

Re: Grandma's WIPs

Can you please explain what a WIP is? Thanks!
petalpusher

Hi, Petal - WIP = Works In Progress.

Susan - I sped through the flickr shots this morning. For the motifs where you ask "is it completed?" I would say yes. This type of embroidery is usually made up of relatively simple stitches, or isolated stitches, and so forth. Straight stitch is used often. So I'd say, yes, those stitches / elements are complete. With the others, where you ask why the difference between the two elements (one is daisy stitch, I think, and the other looks a little more complex) - I'd say that's done on purpose. Probably your Grandma was trying out different stitches for the fun of it. That's normal when you're doing "free style" surface embroidery. The GREAT thing about that, for you, is that she used such a variety of stitches that you can pretty much use a variety, too, and do the stitches you want to do, and it will come out looking like a coherent whole, as long as you stick to the same color schemes.

On the elements that are just plain straight stitches - like the flowers - you can always go back in and add more straight stitches around them, or even a daisy stitch around the straight stitch, etc. There's a lot of leeway there to do whatever you want to do to finish the projects.

You might want to take a look at this article on Needle 'n Thread about changing embroidery kits: https://www.needlenthread.com/2009/02/im ... y-kit.html If you go to the end of the article, there's a PDF link there, to an article by Margaret Cobleigh, who stitched the tablecloth featured in the article from a kit. But she changed it up quite a bit as she went. What's pertinent to your situation is that it's the same type of surface embroidery, really - the designs are printed on the fabric, and probably some suggestions were given, but your Grandma probably did her own thing as she went.

They'll be really fun projects to finish, I think! You have a lot of options and plenty of room to be creative with this type of embroidery. Have fun with it!!!

MC
MaryCorbet

Petalpusher ... don't worry WIP is the only abbrev I know in this game! I saw quite a few others while browsing here, so I will have to catch up with those.

Thank you so much Mary for your input. I think being from a strict scientific background I wasn't so prepared for it being such a freestyle piece. Thank you for the point to the article - that was a real help, and what a beautiful piece of work! I am anxious not to muck these pieces up, but if I am free to experiment, it will certainly be a good learning process. There are loads of different stitches so I can see plenty of fun ahead.

I am keen to have a go with padded satin stitch, and see you recommend one strand of floss for that- yikes, I will be there forever!

Daft question, but as I have never sewn on a printed/stamped item before, do the printed lines come out in the wash?

Susan
thimblethumbs

Hey, Susan, I think it's great you have Grandma's WIPs and she'll be happy you finish them.
No, the printed pattern doesn't wash out, so cover the lines.
You might want to try doing the mum petals at a 45-60 o angle instead of straight across. It goes faster. Just don't make the stitches too long & have fun.
AnneG

That's a good idea Anne, thanks. I haven't done much embroidery before - I used to get so bored, probably because everything I had way back then was straight satin stitch. I only do counted cross stitch regularly, and I guess I (strangely) get less bored with that because of having to count. Plus most of what I have done has used blended threads, some beading, and of course without a pattern on the fabric, it is somewhat more interesting to watch how it grows. Shame the pattern won't wash out; I will just have to make sure it is covered well.
I am pleased they belonged to my Gran, and I know she would have been very happy that I'd be doing them, especially being the tomboy of the family :lol: It's going to be an interesting winter.
thimblethumbs