Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

Washing my embroidery project

Hi,

I'm half way through my surface embroidery project and I noticed that the material is getting dirty. More dusty than anything. Even though I work on it all day I can't seem to keep it clean. I dont use lotions and never have food or drink near my project and I am always washing my hands. I am using DMC cotton floss and it is color fast, but I'm worried that even if I hand wash my work it will make the threads look dull.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thankyou

Melissa
melbird72

Re: Washing my embroidery project

Hi, Melissa -

You should be able to hand wash it, if it's done in DMC. What ground fabric are you using? Did you pre-shrink it? Start by rinsing it in cool water, and then if you have to, you can add a little bit of Orvus or, if you can come by that, Ivory liquid soap. Don't squeeze and wring it - just soak it a little bit and then rinse it really well and block it to dry.

If the residue you're experiencing is just dust, you might be able to remove it by giving the piece a good pounding on the back of the material, while it's still in the frame or hoop.

To forestall any further build up, I suggest laying a piece of scrap fabric (cotton muslin is fine for this) over the work, exposing just the area you're stitching, and then when you aren't stitching, to cover the whole piece, or put it in a box or bag, where the dust can't accumulate on it. Also, if you're using a hoop, make sure you take it out of the hoop after each stitching session.

If dust / dirt is accumulating at the hoop edge, binding your hoop will help reduce this, assuming you're using a wooden hoop (you can't really bind plastic hoops successfully). If you're using a plastic hoop - or even if you're using a wooden one - you can hoop up a piece of scrap cotton muslin on top of your piece, at the same time as you hoop up your work, and then cut the muslin to expose the stitching area. This will help reduce ring marks.

Hope that helps a bit!

~MC
MaryCorbet

Re: Washing my embroidery project

Hi,

I am using a preshrunk cotton. I used a tape roller to try and get any fluff off the material but it still looks grubby. I am using stretcher bars instead of the hoop. and the dirt is really close to the ends of the material. I will use your suggestions and is there a spot on your site that talks about how to block your embroidery?

Thank you,

Melissa
melbird72