Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

Fabric Flare evenware

Has anyone had any experience with this fabric, good or bad? Anything I should be aware of? I'm looking for a cotton fabric for a surface embroidery project that I'd like to be able to wash. Thanks!
petalpusher

Re: Fabric Flare evenware

I've not heard of it - anyone else?!
MaryCorbet

Oops -- I made a mistake -- it's evenweave (not evenware). I found it on Needle in a Haystack. The description says they are 100% cotton, except the 28 count, that's 50% cotton & 50% Modal/Rayon. Thanks!
petalpusher

Hi, Petal - I looked up their website. It's Fabric Flair, and they deal in all types of even weaves blends and naturals, it looks like. If you're planning on surface embroidery, you'd have to purchase the highest count weave they offer (it looks like a 32 count, from what I can see). I don't know if the higher count is available in cotton - the stuff I saw (they call it Minster linen) is linen. The only thing that might make it difficult for surface embroidery is the type of spacing between the threads of fabric - it really depends on the "plumpness" of the fabric weave. If the count is 32 but it's a very "open weave" then it can still work for surface embroidery, but it's not ideal. When doing surface work you want a fabric that will support the stitches, and if the weave is too loose or open, the results can be a bit disappointing.

All that being said, I haven't tried the fabric myself. So maybe someone else who has can comment further....

~MC
MaryCorbet

Thanks so much for this info. I appreciate it!
petalpusher