Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

Silk thread

Hi Mary and every one else!

I love the look and feel of silk thread and fabric. I have a violet hank of 1/2 silk and 1/2 wool and some silk/ linen mix fabric. But that is it. I want to buy silk threads and gather a collection together but I don't know where to buy from. I have a project in mind but I'm not anywhere near working on it. I want to use the Eterna silk but I ordered from Yodamo three weeks ago and they don't respond to emails sent. Can you or anyone else help me find a beautiful silk to work with and a dependable vendor?

Thank you,

Melissa
melbird72

Re: Silk thread

There's "something up" with Yodama and Eterna - don't know what it is, but I've heard a lot of rumblings...

You can't go wrong with any of the Au Ver a Soie threads! They really are the Best when it comes to silk hand embroidery threads. Soie d'Alger has a great color & shade range (600+ colors)... and of course, the various types of silk they produce provide the embroider with a good range of texture and weight. And the company has a great track record - they've been around since the early 1800's, and they have an excellent reputation.

Hedgehog Handworks carries them, as well as other fine needlework retailers...

MC
MaryCorbet

Re: Silk thread

Thank you Mary.

I went to the Hedgehog site and ordered the Soie Ovale. I like the sheen of the thread. I suspect that I'll receive my order before Yodamo even processes my Dec. order. :o

Truly,

Melissa
melbird72