Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

embroidery scissors

Hi Mary,

I was really pleased when my mother showed me your website a couple of days ago. I've now spent hours browsing through different posts!

I have a question about embroidery scissors. I used to keep my scissors with me in my handbag because I would always have a little project going on. I went to to go on an plane trip and forgot to take them out and had to throw them away as I didn't have time to get my luggage back and put them in it. My own fault, but I was still pretty upset.

So, to the point. I've been putting off buying a new pair because I'm just not sure what good brands are out there (my old pair were very old). I would also prefer to buy online if possible, I live in Australia and there is less choice where I live. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Veronica
vwalshaw

Re: embroidery scissors

Hi, Veronica -

I love Dovo scissors, but I don't know if they are available in Australia. They're by far the best scissors I've ever used - the weight, the sharpness of the blades, the fine-ness of the blades, the whole "feel" of the mechanics of the scissors. They are very well made, and compared with other quality & specialty scissors, they are reasonably priced

There are a lot of other scissors out there I haven't tried, so I can't really recommend or not recommend them. Some folks seem to really like Sajou's scissors, but I haven't tried them - I find them rather expensive.

Gingher makes good scissors, but look for the ones that specifically say "made in Germany."

Bohin (in France) also makes scissors, but I haven't tried them yet, either. They're a good company that makes quality products, so I would imagine their scissors are good quality.

I also have a few little pairs of tiny scissors (with plastic handles and steel blades) that are quite good little snippers, but I don't know the brands on them. If I can find out, I'll let you know.

~MC
MaryCorbet

Re: embroidery scissors

Thanks very much for your thorough reply Mary, much appreciated! I now feel a lot more confident about finding a good product to buy.

Veronica
vwalshaw