Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

Pomegranate Goldwork

Dear Mary

I read your post on cutting felt shapes on embroidery patterns (Friday 20 January 2012). Would I have to follow these instructions using fusible interfacing paper for the Pomegranate Goldwork project which has felt padding on the leaves. If I do I just ordered some fusible interfacing paper but I'm not sure if it has paper backing or not, If it hasn't do I need to order the paper backing or can I use ordinary printer paper or grease proof baking paper as parchment, I am confused as to how to apply this on felt as I've not attempted this before and I would like to be sure of the process before I start the project. :?

Thanks for your help

Regards Anita Simmance
Last edited by smannet3 on 1/25/2012 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
smannet3

Re: Pomegranate Goldwork

Hi, Anita - if you have freezer paper or butcher paper, that will work. I think it's called "butcher paper" in the UK...! It's shiny on one side (that's the side that goes face down over the interfacing and fabric) and not shiny on the other (that's the part that's facing up towards the iron).

Chances are, if you ordered something called "fusible interfacing" it will have the paper attached - unless it is specifically "mistyfuse" which doesn't have paper attached.

You can get away with baking parchment, but it doesn't release as well and as easily as butcher paper.

Hope that helps!

~MC
MaryCorbet

I've done a lot of applique and I found freezer paper (butcher paper?) is one of the best templates to use. Shiney side down and a light ironing (press, don't move the iron around!) will attach the paper to your base long enough for you to cut it out in the exact shape you want. Plus, you can reuse the templates several times. With embroidery you won't want to leave a stitching edge, so I suggest you cut it to the exact shape you want as padding.

I've never had a problem with residual stickiness, and I have some templates I've used over and over.

Regards,
Doreen
Doreen

Dear Mary & Doreen

Thanks for your advice I ordered some freezer paper and with the interfacing I've ordered and your instructions Mary I should beable to figure the felt shapes. Looking forward to staring the project but equally nervous and still waiting for the fabric and more gold which is on its way.

Regards Anita Simmance
smannet3