About

Mary Corbet

writer and founder

I learned to embroider when I was a kid, when everyone was really into cross stitch (remember the '80s?). Eventually, I migrated to surface embroidery, teaching myself with whatever I could get my hands on...read more

Contact Mary

Connect with Mary

Archives

2024 (30) 2023 (125) 2022 (136) 2021 (130) 2020 (132) 2019 (147) 2018 (146) 2017 (169) 2016 (147) 2015 (246) 2014 (294) 2013 (294) 2012 (305) 2011 (306) 2010 (316) 2009 (367) 2008 (352) 2007 (225) 2006 (139)

Embroidery Designer Spotlight: Jane Nicholas – Stumpwork!

Amazon Books

Stumpwork is a fascinating hand-embroidery technique, producing three-dimensional images out of embroidery stitches. If you’ve delved into stumpwork and liked it, or if you’ve heard of it but have no idea what it really is, you should check out the work of Jane Nicholas.

Jane Nicholas is an Australian embroiderer who has spent years researching stumpwork and developing gorgeous works of embroidered art, books, and kits. Her website alone attests to her appreciation of beauty and her artistic sense – it’s a pleasure to look at! And you’ve just GOT to love the bugs!

While you’re perusing Jane’s site, check out her gallery! Her dragonfly specimen box is not to be missed, and her 17th century sampler is really unbelievable.

I like her stumpwork kits that correspond to the projects and designs in her books. I’ve got hundreds of embroidery books with great ideas in them, but how convenient would it be to have all those ideas pre-packaged into kits? While you may argue that it takes away the personal creative aspect, I think, for the learner, it’s a great way to go. You have everything on hand and you can just concentrate on working the kit and learning the techniques.

Jane Nicholas also offers an extensive list of supplies that can be ordered through her website. For those of us in the US, it might be a bit much to order these from Australia, but if you can’t find them anywhere else, it might be worth it. From what I saw on the site, most basic supplies can be ordered here in the States.

If you want to take a delightful journey into the world of stumpwork, Jane Nicholas’s Website might be just the right place to start. Enjoy the trip!

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *