Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery

identification of vintage embroidery

Can anyone help me with the identification of a vintage floral embroidered silk edging? It is 2-1/4" wide by 26' long. Can you tell me anything about it ~ country of origin, age, stitching style, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
vintage edging sm.jpg
Vintage floral embroidered silk edging. 2-1/4" wide by 26' long. Need identification.
vintage edging sm.jpg (52.44 KiB) Viewed 21907 times
xine

Re: identification of vintage embroidery

I'm afraid I can't, but it's very pretty! Is it hand embroidered? It's hard to see what type of stitching it is, as the photo is so small. If you have a larger version, that might help.

MC
MaryCorbet

I will upload a detail shot ~ didn't want file to get too large. (Picture is on my home computer, so it will have to wait until this evening.)
I believe it is not hand stitched because of the repetition and uniformity.
xine

Here is a detail of the stitching. I believe it may be machine made because of the repetition and precision - can you tell?
Attachments
vintage edging detail.jpg
detail
vintage edging detail.jpg (98.3 KiB) Viewed 21866 times
xine

The picture is not very clear, so I'm not sure if the stitch is a chain stitch or another one. If it is a chain stitch, it looks like very much as an embroidery made with the Beauvais stitch (point de Beauvais) which requires a hook to be done. It is a French technique. Here is a video (in French) : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x48fyt ... c_creation
anne