Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery

my first self-designed crewel piece

I'm in the process of finishing the first piece of crewel that I designed and stitched! I'm so pleased with the results so far, but have had quite a lot of anxiety over the finishing - particularly the washing and blocking process. Fortunately, it came out great! I'm just waiting for the framing materials to come in - I hope to finish this up in time to share at my EGA meetings in July, then give to my niece in August for her 3rd birthday.
The quality of the images isn't great, but hopefully it gives you the basic idea of what I've done! 8-)
Attachments
P1000843-0000.jpg
dripping
P1000843-0000.jpg (22.1 KiB) Viewed 16755 times
frame and mat.jpg
framing choices
frame and mat.jpg (22.29 KiB) Viewed 16755 times
JulieThomas

Re: my first self-designed crewel piece

Wow :o ...Nicely done. What a wonderful gift to give.

Fredi
faswalker

that is amazing! I like it a lot and the frame! Wow!

Question: how do you use your ??blocking bars?? I've never done that.
Melissa (SewNSane) Schermerhorn ;)
SewNSane

Pretty! And the framing choice is really spectacular!
MaryCorbet

thanks! I really love it, and can't wait to finish it. I'm glad that other stitchers approve my framing choices, i was really missing my former framer who I moved away from. She's also a stitcher and it was always so easy to work with her!

The bars I'm using in this photo are actually for blocking needlepoint, they have little pins sticking up at regular intervals. This was the only frame I own that gave me enough room to stretch this piece properly. (I bought it on a whim for $.50 at an EGA auction!) I started at the center of one long side and laced from the fabric around the edge of the bars out to the corner. Back to the center, laced to the corner. Once I had it all loosely laced I tightened it all up. I got the instructions from Judy Jeroy's book Creative Crewel Embroidery, and from conversations with Judy herself and with Cheryl Sharp - another EGA designer who is fabulous.
JulieThomas

Julie, This is gorgeous. Congratulation on your design. It will beautiful framed. You should be very proud of yourself. Thanks for sharing & giving me inspiration. Jeannette
jeannette

This is so pretty! I'd like to design some pieces too, but am not too confident about it yet. Can I ask how much crewel you've done, and whether you used any specific resources to design this?

Thanks!
Goldberry

This is so pretty!

I'd like to design some crewel pieces myself, but it's a little intimidating. Can I ask how long you've been doing crewel, and whether you used any specific resources to design this?
Goldberry

I picked up the framing materials a couple days ago. the frame is HUGE! omgosh!!! :shock:
Putting everything together is my Sunday project. :)
JulieThomas

Isn't it funny how, once you add matting and everything, your project suddenly seems enormous?!? Post a finished picture, once you get it framed - would love to see it! :D
MaryCorbet