About

Mary Corbet

writer and founder

I learned to embroider when I was a kid, when everyone was really into cross stitch (remember the '80s?). Eventually, I migrated to surface embroidery, teaching myself with whatever I could get my hands on...read more

Contact Mary

Connect with Mary

Archives

2024 (30) 2023 (125) 2022 (136) 2021 (130) 2020 (132) 2019 (147) 2018 (146) 2017 (169) 2016 (147) 2015 (246) 2014 (294) 2013 (294) 2012 (305) 2011 (306) 2010 (316) 2009 (367) 2008 (352) 2007 (225) 2006 (139)

Weekend Stitching: Didn’t Do Much, But…

Amazon Books

This weekend, I didn’t manage a whole lot of embroidery-related tasks, much to my disappointment. Still, I did manage a couple things: 1. to assemble a couple projects into easy-access packages so that, when I can snatch some time for stitching, they’ll be ready for snatching; 2. to stitch up most of a towel, thanks to some late night hours…

I’m stitching up a few sets of flour sack towels for Christmas presents. The designs are varied. Some I drew, some I copied, some I adapted. In every case, I tried to keep the designs relatively bold, with clean lines, for quick stitching in a variety of line stitches.

Hand Embroidered Flour Sack Towels for Christmas Presents, 2008

After ironing a couple towels and tracing the designs on to them using a light box and pencil, I selected no more than six colors (but in truth, I think four colors are sufficient), and put the threads and the folded towel into a handy-dandy zip-loc bag. Now, when I have time to devote to this kind of embroidery, I’ve got everything on hand to start one of these projects. I’m glad about that, because I only have a gazillion more projects to complete before the holidays!!

I had a bit of time later Saturday evening for some focused stitching, so I set out on one of the towels.

I’m just using four colors (two shades of green, a darker burnt red, and a reddish-orange) and two stitches – stem stitch and chain stitch.

I was going to throw two shades of blue in with these colors, but I’m glad that I didn’t!

I’m about two-thirds of the way finished on this one. I’m only doing one corner – enough for a splash of color.

Here’s hoping that this week presents a few more opportunities to make some headway on Christmas gifts! I’m under a little crunch at work, so we’ll see what develops on the home front in the evenings. I still have the front of the goldwork and silk ornament to complete – just a tiny bit more to go! Keep your fingers crossed for me that I can finish it this week!

If you haven’t signed up for this month’s stash give-away, don’t miss your opportunity to win some really good threads and stuff!

That about covers my weekend as far as embroidery goes – I hope you had the opportunity to spend more time with your needle ‘n thread and were able to accomplish everything you wanted to!

Enjoy your Monday!

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

(4) Comments

1. Mary, I can’t tell you how much I have been enjoying your site. I love seeing the vast number of on-going projects that you have going at once. Makes me feel good knowing that I’m not the only one!

Thanks for all of your effort.

Cissie

More Comments