[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
View topic - Royal Persian Blossoms SAL – Needle'nThread.com
Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery

Re: Royal Persian Blossoms SAL

Dear Linda,
Please post photos! I would love to see your progress.

Dear Mary,
Perhaps if you swap the blue to red, you could switch to a more olive colored brown too for balance?

Anyway, I wanted to mention I posted a color wheel with the full range of tertiary colors a while back, if anyone is dithering over colors.

Hannah
Hannah Enbrouderie

Count me in! But I'm thinking of more greens/gold with some dark red thrown in as that is what my living room has. I'm a beginner with crewel so this will teach me quite a bit. I'm terrible with colors but I can match them up to my big armchair/ottoman by bringing the arm protector to the needlework shop. There is a shop closeby that has a beautiful range of wool/silk blend that I might try.
Cynthia

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the info. I think I will feel better backing the Alba Maxima. I have had shadowing problems with embroidery on cotton so I now back everything. I would rather be safe then sorry. It is a really beautiful linen.

Have a great weekend. Jeannette
jeannette

I set my design up to transfer yesterday - traced it and then traced in all the color change lines, then pierced the design, to use pounce to transfer it.

I'm doing one of the smaller designs - the Royal Persian Sprig. I'd like to do the whole main blossom, but it's too big a project right now - so I'll live vicariously through those of you who are doing it!

As luck would have it, I sorted through a heap of Appleton wool that I have in my stash, and was able to extract about 8 colors that the design calls for, so I can actually get started sooner than I thought! I may start stitching as early as tomorrow. (Still contemplating changing the blues to reds....)

Anyone else made a start?
MaryCorbet

Hi Mary,

Lucky you getting to start. I ordered the same one you are doing the, Royal Persian Spray and the threads. I talked to Jan (such a nice gal) at The Wooly Thread and she has been searching the U.S. for the Appleton wool and I think she said she might be able to send my order on Monday. She has worked very hard, "beyond the call of duty" to find the wool, even got some on Ebay. She has my vote for the "Girl of the Year".

Applelton is so backordered because of their shutdown. The person who was the dye man passed away so suddenly. You would think they would have a back up. They have been in business since 1841, but I don't think they made it into the 20th century let alone the 21st. I do love their wool!!!!

I'm so anxious to start. Glad I ordered one of the small ones taken from the larger pattern. I don't think I can handle the whole pattern. LOL

It's alway exciting to start a new project. Enjoy and have a great weekend. :D

Jeannette
jeannette

Hi Mary and Fellow SALongers,
Anna at Talliaferro emailed me that my pattern (Royal Persian Spray) was mailed on June 23, so should have it here in France within 7-10 days! She very kindly emailed me a list of the Appleton colors used in the design.

I have a pretty good Appleton stash, including about 3 of the blues called for in the design, but may decide to substitute with what I have - the Sky Blue "blues" and "Iron Greys", with another bright yellow accent color. Then again, the whole color scheme may change by the time I start!

For those in the UK or Europe, a good source for a prick and pounce kit is Sarah Homfray's (website [url][/url]www.sarahhomfray.com.[url][/url] It contains 3 colors of pounce, the needle in a cork, and a soft cloth for spreading the pounce over your design.
Sharon Brodeuse

Thanks for the info, Sharon!

I was able to dig about three blues, one or two of the yellows, a grey or two, and a brown out of my Appleton stash, so it's enough to start with. I was going to switch to red, but I actually don't have a full range of reds, either. So I'll go with the original colors afterall.

I'm using Strathaven linen for my ground fabric, and backing it with muslin.

MC
MaryCorbet

Design Transferred...

Hi, All - I transferred my design yesterday and will be framing it up this evening, and I might even manage to get a few stitches in!

I used , and then traced the pounce dots with a micron art pen (the Martha Stewart brand, in the color "moonstone" size 0.5). Actually, at the base of the sprig there, you can see where the ink is much darker... oops. Let that be a lesson to me! I had several pens out and grabbed one without double checking the color. I kept thinking "Gosh, this is really dark" - and then I checked the color!

Before pouncing the design, I marked in all the shading lines as indicated in the directions, so that I wouldn't have to draw those in later. I think this works better if you're tracing the design, rather than pouncing it first. The pounce dot paths can get confusing in close quarters. Other than that, though, it was a terrific way to transfer the design accurately. :? !!

I'm using (as mentioned in a comment above) Strathaven linen as the ground fabric. It's a heavy enough linen (not a heavy linen - about a medium-light weight) that a lining fabric isn't 100% necessary, but I'm going to use muslin behind it, anyway.

I'll be mounting mine in . The sprig is one of the smaller elements in the design set, so the frame is only 9x11, I think.

So, I'm off to frame 'er up, and then tonight, I might be able to sink some stitches into this thing!

Have a lovely evening! :D
MaryCorbet

I am looking forward to see how you will all do with this design. I won't be able to start any time soon but eventually.

I have worked a smallish design on the Legacy linen twill and I am not totally convinced it would stand up to the weight of a larger design.

I have done all my crewel work on linen twill of various types. I will be interested to see how this design stands up on other fabrics.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures as you all stitch a long.

~Pam
PamB

I'll be participating as a very interested and appreciative onlooker. I'm very much caught up in the excitement and the exchange of info already.
KathfromOz