Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery

Re: Royal Persian Blossoms SAL

Your blossom looks terrific, Melissa!! You're really moving along fast on it - I love it!

I posted a little bit about my Sorry Progress today: https://www.needlenthread.com/2011/08/ro ... pdate.html

I've relegated this project to Sunday afternoons, since I've got quite a few other projects going that need the bulk of my time right now. Yep, you're right, that's just my excuse for slow going! :-)

The "receptacle" at the base of the blossom in this section has plenty of room for some gradual shading. I found that the color switches recommended in the instructions turned out looking rather abrupt, the way I stitched them, so I'm going to start over on the side swashes on the "receptacle" (that's that swashy thing at the base of the blossom) and incorporate a few more transitional shades of the blues.

I've picked out the previous stitching, and I'm ready to pick this up on the weekend and re-do that area. Can't wait to have it done!

After seeing Melissa's fillings (see SewNSane's last facebook link above), I'm all eager to get going on this again!
MaryCorbet

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... dca&type=1

This is my latest progress. Not happy with the vine droops - I couldn't get the directions right but I really can't be bothered to unpick it yet. But I am pleased with Spray stem leaf although getting the lines straight and the right distance apart on the trellis took 2 goes.

Going away for a week now so will be interested to see everyones progress when I get back.

xxx :D
Kirsten

Here is my photos of RPB as a beginner I found the project difficult but enjoyable, it was the first time I attempted gold thread/check thread and plunging, but found it enjoyable. This is going to be a card for my sister 50th wedding anniversary in September, I hope she likes it.

Regards anita

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... a57&type=1
smannet3

Hi everyone!
Finally got framed up a, the design transferred and started stitching. So far only the stem - the gray/brown bit and almost all the blue - is done. Two things I've noticed - this is a big design with lots of details. Trying to transfer all the little details was a BAD idea using prick and pounce. It just made a mess with the pounce. All the little oval shapes? They turned into a muddy looking mess. I knocked it off, taped over the holes I'd pricked and transferred only the big shapes, drawing in the details by hand. Amazingly, it worked!
Secondly, I'm NOT using Appleton wool. I threw so much away on my last project I couldn't face using it again, especially not on something this beautiful. Instead I'm using Heathway wool - colors Indigo, Fawn and Old Gold. So far it's stitching beautifully! I love it! It's a finer wool so I've had to stitch more rows of stem stitch but it just looks much finer and more lovely. Not much in the way of photos yet but so far so good. It's great to read what all the rest of you have done and encountered - I"m learning from your experiences!
Liebe Grusse,
Kathy
Kathy

Mary: sorry to hear about the difficulties with the shading. It took me a couple days just studying the stitch direction vs shading. I ended up breaking it down into several smaller sections just to get the direction and shading to some what go together. That and very short long/short stitching. :lol: After a bit, man did that get annoying :|

Kristen: I am loving your work in progress! I was comparing your drops to mine... I like yours better because it helps break it up. Then again, I've always liked everyone's work before mine cause I am not the one doing it. 8-) I wouldn't be able to see the oops or goofs like I do on mine.

Anita: That card is going to be amazing when you get it done. I was looking at the before the gold work section and wondering why so bright... then saw the gold and everything just came together so nicely!! You are doing a fantastic job for a beginner! I am not even brave enough yet to try gold work. Great job!

Well, here again is the link: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 645&type=1

Like I was telling Mary about the stitching, you will be able to see what I did. Of course, had to fight with the auto focus on the camera cause it wouldn't focus with the way the stitching came out. I won the battle with that and got a couple cool shots. When I get up in the morning, going to shoot for penning in the shade and stitch directions AFTER my pot of coffee :D When I saw Mary's section for B, I have a feeling I will get along with that area a little better and won't have to do so many small short stitches of the long/short stitching. :lol:
Melissa (SewNSane) Schermerhorn ;)
SewNSane

Re: Royal Persian Blossoms fi

Dear Melissa

Thank you so much for your kind words, I was so nervous stitching this but I think it worked out quite well even though I made loads of mistakes. I love gold work it just gives the embroidery that extra finesse, I read very carefully Mary's posts on goldwork and tried to follow her instructions.

Regards Anita
smannet3

Blast and double blast. I just wrote a post here, and the forum logged me out before I was finished and ate all my words! :? And I own the silly place! :shock: Cheeky, I say.

Ok, the gist of what I wrote, in a nutshell:

How's it going, everyone? I spent last Sunday's stitching session cleaning up the fuzzy mess from the week before, and tomorrow, my fondest wish is to finish the receptacle (blue area) at the base of the blossom. We'll see!

Kirsten - I just checked your link up there! Yours is looking great and coming along well! I notice that you (and everyone else, it seems) started with the stem first, and I'm thinking I should've, too. It looks fun!

If I make any progress tomorrow, you all will be the first to know!

Can't wait to see your updates!
MaryCorbet

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... dca&type=1

These are the pics of my weekend's work. Am definitely no good at chain stitch, never seem to get it right. Just don't know which way to twist the loop. But again I'm happy with the trellis.

Thanks for your kind comments. I am enjoying this now I'm in my stride.

Take care all
xxx
Kirsten

Hi All!

I haven't forgotten the project or am ignoring the rest of my stitching friends :D... just haven't been able to get back to my stitching since my last post. :(

First, stress went threw the ceiling here at my place and last thing I needed to do was pull the two ends or all four sides of the piece into the middle while stitching in the middle of the work.

Second, the weather here in New York has shifted to cooooler, then to coooooooooler yet. So I started on the quilt kit my son (and myself) got me for Mother's Day. Since I own 2 sewing machines that don't want to work nicely when you need them to, I am hand piecing this thing together. The design leaves a lot of room for embroidery accents, so in the planning stages while piecing. :lol:

Original plan, Naptime: Dad's crewel piece. Bedtime: My quilt. Needless to say that worked well for all of three stitches on the crewel piece. Swapped the projects to Quilt at Nap, Crewel at Bedtime. (if you have kids you know what I mean lol) Well... that didn't work too well either, get a few stitches into the crewel work before I start falling asleep and pulling fabric/stitches too tight. Now, I am piecing the quilt together and waiting til the teeth grinding calms down enough to not put the ends into the middle with one stitch. :lol:

Mary: Best of luck cleaning the Fuzzy off and getting the stitches started/finished :)
Melissa (SewNSane) Schermerhorn ;)
SewNSane

Heh heh. Thanks, Melissa! Oh, not much luck this weekend! I'm in the process of working on my upcoming online class kits - fun work! But not much time for actual stitching right now.

Kirsten - WOW - you are really coming along! The trellis looks great! On chain stitch, you shouldn't have to twist the loop, by the way. Drop your thread and let the over-twist work out of it, and it will stop twisting on you (ideally :? )

~MC
MaryCorbet