Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery

Looking for a Trestle

Hi Everyone!

I'm about to get my first slate frame, and after doing some reading, am really interested in getting a trestle for it as well. I saw that Mary had one made for her back in 2009 (those are really informative posts, Mary and I greatly appreciated the info!) - is that guy making them still? Or does anyone know of a place I can get one from? Thanks!

Mary Martin
Mary Martin

Re: Looking for a Trestle

Hi again Mary,
I just figured out how to post a photo:
Kathy
Kathy

Hi Mary,
I,too, have just gotten my first slate frame and didn't have trestles. I decided to pull out two towel racks/stands that I use for guests to see if they worked - and they do! They're from IKEA - called Molger. I know not everyone has IKEA nearby but, if you do, they're not expensive - and they work a treat. I think they would be even better if I drilled additional holes in them to make the more adjustable but for now they're fine.
Leieb Grusse,
Kathy
Kathy

Thanks, Kathy - Very Inventive!

We don't have an IKEA around here, but for those who do - it's a great idea.

Mary - I've got someone on the line who's working on a trestle design! I'm excited about it! But I don't think the prototype will be out before October. I'll show it off as soon as I see it myself! :-)
MaryCorbet

Kathy, I was so happy yesterday when I saw your blog post. How is using that working out for you? Is it at least close to the trestles you used at RSN? I showed my husband, and his concern was that it might slide a bit - do you need to clamp it on or is it fine sitting? The IKEA here in Houston does have them, so we'll be heading there this week. Then all that is left is to order the slate frame - I'm thinking about ordering from Hedgehog. I saw Tristan Brooks offers them as well. Does anyone have pros/cons on them, or are they both the same quality?

Mary - let me know when your people get the prototype ready, I can't wait to see it! It's something I am definitely going to invest in when it becomes available.

Thanks so much to you both!

Mary Martin
Mary Martin