[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
View topic - How to Charge for Embroidery? – Needle'nThread.com
Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery

Re: How to Charge for Embroidery?

Hello Cynthia,
I just returned from the Stitches and Stately Homes tour in England that surpassed all expectations. Part of the tour included a private showing at the Royal School of Needlework and 2 days of stitching with graduates from the RSN. The tutors, Jennie Adin-Christie (yes, she worked on “the dress”) and Clare Clensy have both started their own businesses. They shared some good information that may help you. At the school, they were taught to work one hand above and one hand below their work. All threads were cut the length of approximately elbow to fingers. This was meant for speed to avoid the extra motion of pulling thread. That seemed awfully short with extra effort needed to stop and start but clearly they had mastered it as their fingers flew. No wasted motion and flawless stitching.

Of course, we did not discuss money other than to be told the RSN charged £35.00 per hour for restoration when the women attended but the stitchers did not receive that kind of pay. The school, located at Hampton Court, originally paid no rent but now must and is feeling it. We did not learn this from the school directly as they were very tight-lipped about most things.

Both women were fun, professional and extremely encouraging. They offered a variety of their own kits and supplies for sale and our group (13) did our share of buying. It was significant. The kits were simple to very complex and you can see what I mean if you visit their respective web sites--
http://www.jennyadin-christieembroidery.co.uk/Home.html
http://www.vine-embroidery.co.uk/

On a personal note - I, like my tour mates, got caught up in the moment and spent more than I normally would have had been shopping in a store or online. I am not sorry.

I realize your question dealt with pricing and I shared more than that. I hope it helps. Good luck to you.
PattyP2014

KimikoS

Thank you for all the great replies and thoughts on this subject!
cynthia_baxter

Thanks for the suggestions about the books - I need to get my hot little hands on those I think!! I wonder if my library would order them if I asked? :lol:
I love stitching - I would stitch all day and all night if I could! www.sewnbysaliba.com
SewnBySaliba

Hello to all .... :D

Here in Brazil ...handmade products are charged something like that:
You calculate all material you need to buy or bought ... and multiply for 3 ... 1 part is your cost, 1 part is for your hours and the last part is your commission or profit ... of course you can be flexible ... not cheap and not expansive ... you can make your on balance ....
We have people who charged very small commissions ... too ...but I think is good start this math.
Hope this help...
Wal
Walfrida

Well for those who are more savvy with embroidering but are looking to outsource some pieces to others, it really depends on the complexity of the design. I am guessing that you could charge $4 per hour at most. Though if you have been known to work well with it, you can start raising your price, but be sure that you couple that with excellent output so you get continuous job offers.
fau26