[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
View topic - Fabrics – Needle'nThread.com
Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery

Fabrics

Found this company for linen twill fabric... it is half yard by 26" for like 21.50 usd

http://www.ineedlework.com/wh-linen-oy.html
Melissa (SewNSane) Schermerhorn ;)
SewNSane

Re: Fabrics

Hi, Melissa - Thanks for the link! Just a couple thoughts on linen twill and a bit o' warning:

There's linen twill, and then there's Linen Twill. It's pretty common for linen twill that's made for upholstery to be sold as twill for hand embroidery, but the fabric is completely different. The upholstery fabric will be thick and seem almost spongy, and the weave between the diagonals tends to feel loose. Linen twill woven specifically for hand embroidery is a much tighter twill, it's "fairly" light (not really light, but lighter than twill made for upholstery). It's usually a very firm fabric, and more delicate than upholstery twill. And it works well as a ground for all kinds of needlework - from crewel to goldwork.

As far as I know, there are only two real linen twills made specifically for needlework on the market (or at least, easily available) - Legacy Linen's, and the crewelworks company's (Philippa Turnbull). The latter is darker and slightly heavier than the former.

Not trying to be preachy :? , but just so you know, so you can keep an eye out for the right stuff. And this may very well be a good linen twill made for needlework. It wouldn't hurt to ask them who makes it, though, before investing in it.

MC
MaryCorbet

:shock: Wow! I did not know of this (see the beginner in me)! I will have to look into it more to tell for sure. I was a little too tired to continue on with the searching. I did request samples and waiting to hear back from them to see if they can do that or not. I've learned some companies don't like to do that so I stay away from them. I would think samples would help sell products... but that's me.

Your word of the wise will help more than just me thou ;) I am sure there is still more learning to do for all us stitchers who haven't "felt around" more in embroidery.
Melissa (SewNSane) Schermerhorn ;)
SewNSane

Mary? What about linen twill that is a garment weight? I've not used linen twill yet for embroidery, but bought some linen twill some years ago for making into a garment that still hasn't been used, and I bought a lot more than the pants it may end up. Just wondering if it would be worth embroidering on?
KimikoS

Hi, KimikoS - Well, you can always try it. But twill for garments vs. twill for hand embroidery will have a completely different weight and feel to it, I think. Of course, it's hard to say without actually seeing the fabric, but I'm pretty sure you'd find a significant difference if you compared the two types of twill.

But on the other hand, if you have extra, there's nothing wrong with going wild with your needle & thread and playing with it!!! :D

MC
MaryCorbet