I’ve been dying to write this post for a long, long time – before I even knew what the new Needle ‘n Thread would look like, and for that matter, before I knew we would even have a new Needle ‘n Thread for sure! But here it is, shiny and new, and I want to tell you a little bit about it.
But first, a final tribute to the old, so that we can remember what it looked like:
And now let’s get on with the new!
Here are the notable features of the new Needle ‘n Thread:
- 1. Main Page Slide Show: this slide show rotates between five images, each to a major part of the website. The first image will feature a current project, so it will change as I get things done. But the others will remain the same. Each picture is clickable and will take you to that section of the site. You can also move through the slide show by clicking on the numbers on the lower right edge of the frame.
- 2. Top Menu – all the main sections of the site are here…
- 3. …except this: Types of Hand Embroidery (in the right column). This is a new addition – it is a menu of the different types of hand embroidery discussed on Needle ‘n Thread so far. As topics expand, this section will continue to grow. I hope you like it!
- 4. Sub-navigation: When you are within the site, you will find sub-navigation links in this top left corner.
- 5. In the right column, you’ll find a featured book!
- 6. And, in fact, if you visit the Books and Links page, you’ll find a rating system on the books, plus links to each of my reviews. At the end of that page, you’ll find some pertinent links to online needlework resources and so forth.
- 7. The How To videos are now indexed with photos, so you can get an idea of what the finished stitch looks like.
- 8. The Patterns page is also indexed with photo thumbnails, so you can select the pattern you want easily or just browse through.
- 9. Oh, and then there’s the Picture gallery! It’s great for browsing!
- 10. There’s a great translate feature in the left column, for those whose first language is not English.
- 11. And the site search is really a site search! It’s all Needle ‘n Thread.
- 12. At the end of the right column, you’ll find a link to the Categories (tags) used on Needle ‘n Thread, and you can visit the Archives by individual year.
I hope you enjoy my new online home! I have to admit, I like it a LOT!
Now, in case you’re just ooo-ing and aaaah-ing over my great technical and creative abilities, let me set the record straight! The concept, design, and technical work on Needle ‘n Thread are all the work of the folks at Imagemakers, Inc., in Wamego, Kansas. Truly – I did nothing except say “yes” or “no” (but more often, “I don’t know”). In our first meeting, I took them a vague idea of what I knew I sort of wanted, said some things about colors, and I recall mentioning embroidered bugs more than once (?), and this is what they produced. They could not have come up with anything I liked better – it’s exactly what I wanted. I know they put in lots of late and long hours, so thanks, Dan and Clayton and all who helped!
Tomorrow, I’ll resume the regular posting of needlework related content (I can’t wait to show you my Blackwork Fish progress), and later this week, we’ll celebrate the launching of my new website with a grand give-away!
Thanks so much for your patience and for sticking with me! I’m looking forward to kicking things up a notch this year with Needle ‘n Thread. I have some ideas fermenting in my head, and I’m always open to new ones, so feel free to leave a comment if you have any suggestions!
Leave A Comment