Well, I’m sorry to say I missed the round up for the Stitch Challenge, but here are my results of messing around with herringbone stitch. I’ve always seen herringbone worked mostly in lines. Sometimes, we get creative with it and wave it up a bit by changing the lengths of the “arms” … but I figured it would be fun to see how herringbone works out in the round – that is, stitched in a circle.
Sticking with my resolutions, I dug for some fabric, and came up with the same old velveteen I’ve been working on all year. Eventually, I will get rid of this stuff! But I like red, so I wasn’t too distraught. I didn’t want to use linen or evenweave of any kind. After all, there’s little point in evenweave when working around a circle!
Using a compass, I drew several concentric circles on tissue paper and marked off spots at even intervals around the circumference of each circle. I then transferred the dots to the fabric using a pencil. This would at least give me reference points for stitches. After all, drawing a circle free-hand is hard enough – stitching one? I’m pretty sure I couldn’t do it!
Here’s an overall view of my results with the whole stitching adventure. As you can see, I didn’t do anything too wild and crazy with the stitch.
I began with the inside circle, and worked outwards. The interior circle is double herringbone stitch, worked in an overdyed stranded cotton. You can see how working in a circle slightly distorts the shape of the stitch, giving it a larger base on the inside diamond shape, with a narrower tip.
The second circle is herringbone stitch, woven and worked right next to each other in three colors. I wove the right side of the “V” of each stitch (the “up” thread) underneath the one stitched previously, to give an overlapping, folded look to the stitch.
The third circle is double herringbone, worked in #5 perle cotton (pink and blue). I stitched a straight stitch in green stranded cotton over the middle intersection of each double herringbone, and two lazy daisy stitches shooting out from the intersection. Then, for the fun of it, I stitched a single blue bead in the middle. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the proper thread in my stash for securing beads, but I kept to my resolution and used only what was in my stash – color-matching as best as I could to a stranded floss, and using one strand to secure the beads.
The last circle is made of two rows of very wide herringbone stitches worked in blue stranded cotton, and then the double part of the herringbone was created using a green silk ribbon. After stitching the herringbone in ribbon, I added a French knot on each tip of the green ribbon. The knots are in an overdyed cotton, the size of #5 perle.
I always like to take shots of my work at or close to eye level, while it’s still in the hoop or frame. I don’t know – I just think it’s kind of neat.
So there’s my experiment with herringbone in the round. I’m looking forward to seeing what’s up for the challenge this Tuesday, though if I keep missing the round up, I don’t think I’ll bother with the pressure of keeping up, since I’ve only got a short few hours on the weekends to work on this, and can’t post until Sunday. We’ll just have to wait and see!
If you want to check out all those included in this week’s round up, check out the inaminuteago blog.