A while ago, I posted the beginnings of my excursion into canvas work (or needlepoint). My plan was to make a little sampler, just to play with some stitches and threads. I haven’t made a lot of progress on it, but the little I’ve done has been a lot of fun and a good learning experience.
I’m work on 24 count soft congress cloth, and using a variety of threads – really, anything I pull out of my stash that looks remotely like it might belong to a general color scheme! I’ve been playing with all kinds of stitches, but nothing too magnificent. There are quite a few more stitches and combinations that I’m looking forward to trying!
As you can see, there are lots of blank spaces to fill in, and a bit more growing room on the top. I’m not quite fond of that curl on the top right. I was trying to play with shading, but I’m not too keen on the results!
The paisley-looking thing in the middle is not very well or precisely done! I drew it straight onto the fabric with a pen, then stitched the outline first in stem stitch in several strands of floss, then filled in with tent stitch. I think that might be cheating!
That zig-zag area is not quite true to color. I should have played with the photo a bit to get it more realistic. The greens are more yellow and less blue. Anyway, the fun thing about that area: I worked it in Eterna stranded silk, which is an almost-flat Chinese silk with a nice sheen. It can be a grouchy thread to work with in regular surface embroidery. I thought it would be a bear in canvas work, but I was pleasantly surprised! I like it!
The background bluish-purple in the squares is worked with Soie d’Alger, and I think it is, so far, my favorite thread to work with on this canvas. I may very well be using too many strands (4, I think – but it may have only been 3!) on 24 count, but it was still really buttery-soft and easy to work with. The gold crossing over the purple is also Soie d’Alger. The camera doesn’t catch the soft sheen of the floss, but it does shine (not as much as the flat silk, but with a soft kind of glow).
The gold underneath the brighter green zig-zag is rayon ribbon floss. Interesting stuff to work with.
I like to look at things from an angle.
This photo shows the Rhodes stitch and tent stitch strip. The Rhodes stitch squares were rather randomly placed – I didn’t count them out or mark them first. You can also see, in the front leaf of the paisley-thing, how messy the bottom rows look. I think two things were happening: my thread was wearing out, and I changed direction in my stitching.
So, that’s the sampler so far. I am looking forward to hopefully a weeeeee bit of stitching time for it this weekend…. if the planets line up in my favor, anyway!