Do you leave embroidery thread trails all around your house? I do! I usually sit on the sofa in the living room for “casual” embroidery projects, and when I snip threads, those orts (the thread scraps) end up on the arm of the sofa. I bet you know what I’m talking about!
Building into a good-sized, loose ball by the end of an evening, my embroidery thread left-overs will inevitably cling to the arms of my clothes. From there, they trickle off onto the floor… the living room floor, the kitchen floor, the bathroom floor. I’m forever leaving little trails.
When I think about it, I put a zip-lock bag in my sewing basket, but it’s too much bother to dig for it when I’m engrossed in stitchery! Besides, once it’s full, I toss it – and then I forget to add another to the basket… until I’ve got another thread ball building on the sofa.
Well, I finally decided it was time to do something about this! And so this is what I did:
About a month ago, I mentioned that I bought a couple placemats on clearance. I had this particular project in mind at the time, but just now had the chance to see my plan fulfilled:
A Couch Caddy!!!
I’m so excited about it. It isn’t pristinely done, but I like it! I’m the first to admit I’m not an expert on the sewing machine! Patterns just aren’t my thing, so this project was really perfect. It took me a whole 30 minutes. I had no plan – I just cut some rectangles from one placemat and its liner, and I sewed the stuff together.
[Oh dear. Pictures never lie.]
The first thing I did was take one placemat (less than $2 at Target on clearance) and separate the top fabric from the liner using a seam ripper.
Then, with the top fabric on the table just like you’d place a placemat, I cut it in half straight up from bottom to top. I took one half, folded from bottom to top, right sides together, and sewed up the sides. Then I measured 1.5 inches from the corner at the fold, and sewed a little triangle, so that the bag rounded out a bit, instead of laying flat like an envelope. Then I did the same thing with the liner, only backwards, and stuck the liner inside, and top stitched around the edge.
I still had half a placemat, so I cut out another rectangle and made a longer, narrower tube to put scissors and pencils in.
I still had a quarter of the placemat left, so I cut out tabs to attach the two pockets to the base, which was an in-tact placemat.
I didn’t line the narrower tube, except by leaving the interfacing that was inside the placemat. In fact, that one came out rather sloppy – functional, but sloppy!
I made sure I sewed the tabs well into the outside half of the base so that I would have plenty of placemat on the inside arm of the couch to weight the thing properly and keep it from sliding.
I still have a little bit of the placemat left – I’m thinking about looking for a heavy-duty magnet I can cover with fabric and put on the top for needles and my embroidery scissors.
The whole thing worked rather well, took me about 30 minutes, cost me less than $4.00, and now I have somewhere to put those stray threads!