When it rains, it pours. I had an embroidery project planned for the space after Christmas. Then my family from Florida decided to come up to Kansas on Monday and Tuesday, for a big even taking place in Kansas City on Tuesday – so they will all be here tomorrow. The event in KC involves our family, so I’ll be going to KC for the day on Tuesday. But all those plans were still ok – it left me Saturday, Sunday, and part of Monday, as well as some stitching time Wednesday through Friday to finish my initial plans in relative comfort, without pressure…. But then…. Friday Night struck!
Without going into lots of details right now – time is scarce, and I can’t format photos, anyway – suffice it to say that on Friday night, a friend of the family called, in desperate need of a certain liturgical piece of linen about 5 or 6 feet long by 3 inches… and she needed it by Tuesday. In the ceremony for which it is used, this piece of linen is usually ornately decorated, with embroidery or with paint. (I’ve seen some absolutely gorgeous painted ones!) The decoration usually includes text – biblical verses, etc. – and embellishment.
My mother took the call. “Don’t worry about it,” I heard her say. “Don’t you worry a thing about it. I’m sure she has linen, and she will be happy and honored to take care of this.”
The Exclamation Point went off in my head. There was no Question Mark. I knew exactly what had just happened. I had been volunteered!
It’s true that I don’t mind. But the time contraints (this was Late Friday Night!) were a bit daunting.
Now, I could – and I should have – simply cut a piece of white linen in the required size, added a small center cross (stress is on small), sewn it up, and called it done.
What did I do? OH GOLLY!! I worked up an eight-word text, with elaborate initials on the capitals, and added a filigree cross at each end of the text, and a filigree cross at each end of the long strip of linen. The decorative text is centered in the middle of the linen.
And I have until tomorrow.
The letters are calligraphy, but they are only outlined – nothing in the piece is filled. Everything (practically) is done in stem stitch. I might have a few (very few) satin stitch dots on the filigree, but that will be last, if there’s time.
I’m only using two colors, blue and gold, with two shades of each. Fortunately, I had an excellent piece of linen exactly five feet wide, so that worked out. I also had at least 4 skeins of each color I wanted in Soie d’Alger. So that worked, too.
In fact, I had everything – it all worked so easily – the design was easy to transfer (first thing Saturday morning … until, actually, 3:00 pm, when I finally started stitching)… that I figured it was Meant To Be.
Sure, whatever! I think I’ve made a mistake, trying to do something this complex in this short of time! But this is my plan: I will stitch diligently all day, and tonight, I will see where I am. If I know by tonight it will be impossible to finish by Monday night, then tomorrow (Monday), I will cut a new strip of linen, put a small, simple cross in the middle, and sew it up and call it done.
Now, your job is to cheer for me, to “wish” it done…. !!! To keep your fingers crossed for me! (Well, ok, not literally – none of us would get much done that way!) I really want to be able to present the more elaborate piece!
And I will keep you posted, probably after the fact!
Wish me luck!