Just a brief update on the Mission Rose project. The stem is finished, and the bud is underway and will be finished this weekend.
Then, I’ll be experimenting with some fabric for some appliqué work on the piece. Can’t wait to get to that point!
Here’s the project so far.
The photo above was taken in direct sunlight at a slight angle. Taking pictures in sunlight can be a good thing or a bad thing – some aspects look quite good in sunlight. But because the shadows are more severe, other aspects might not look quite as favorable. I like to take photos in direct sun now and then, because it shows me things I wouldn’t necessarily see, sitting under a light.
One thing I expected when I took the photo outside in the sun was that the pink ground fabric would show up as the slightly blush-pink color that it is. It didn’t. It looks somewhat putty colored on my end. It’s a much lighter, delicate pink.
And now, on to the bud!
What do you think? Ermine fur for the collar?
I’ve decided to name the bud Eva Gabor. When it starts speaking to me and calling me “Daaaahling,” I’ll let you know!
Advance Warning: I’m not changing the bud. I did experiment with some overlays to see if I could fudge around a bit and work something else out, but in the end, I decided to stick with it as it is. If you don’t like the bud but are planning to work the project, I’d suggest fiddling with it on the Mission Rose embroidery pattern until it’s just as you’d like it, and then re-tracing the pattern with your adjustments, and then transferring the design.
If you’d like to read the backstory and follow along with the development of the Mission Rose project, you’ll find all the articles in this series listed in chronological order in the Mission Rose Project Index.