Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread - Tips, Tricks & Great Resources for Hand Embroidery
Ask Needlework Related Questions Here

Question re: the "olden days"

I know the different techniques that we have today to transfer designs. I am wondering how they did it in the 1500's to the 1700's. In particular I want to know if they used any kind of transfer method when they worked their strip samplers to document (for lack of a better word) new stitches they would be introduced to.
Did they use a 4" or 5" hoop when doing their strip samplers or just not use one?
TIA
Heather

Re: Question re: the "olden days"

Hi,

In http://inaminuteago.com/articles/samplerhist.html

In Wikipedia I read, "The first printed pattern book was produced in 1523, but they were not easily obtainable and a sampler was the most common form of reference available to many women."

Also, there is some information in http://www.simplysamplers.org/content/p ... mplers.php

I love old samplers--the girls/women who created them speak to us through them through the ages. Look at this one! http://www.pilgrimhall.org/s_sampler.htm

I have not seen any information about whether any hoops were used back then. Actually, I have had a hard time finding out the history of the embroidery hoop or tambour!

I hope this helps!

DorisHH

You will find information at
DorisHH

Hi Doris!
I have a book on samplers that I'm reading now. After looking at some of them I can't help but try to play it out in my mind. That's why I can't imagine not having a method to transfer. Can you imagine the husbands riding off on some fox hunt while the ladies sit and compare samplers? But as an example would "Mary" have tried to memorize "Jane's" motif and just winged it when "Jane" left? Do you think they would have tried to put it on paper with a quill and ink then prick and pounced? It just amazes me! I can't figure out how they did it! Maybe just "Jane" would have taught "Mary" how to do it while they visited?
thanks for the links too, I have "in a minute ago" bookmarked!
Heather

Interesting questions. I know for some samplers that they copied from a drawing or another stitched sampler then they counted threads and "eyeballed" the stitches. They would sketch out with a pencil on linen (or looks like a pencil anyway). That's in a book on antique samplers.
Re the hoops, I've seen some very old, 15th century and even older, late middle ages, paintings and tapestries of women stitching at a hoop or frame. Don't know when the small hoops came into use, but I bet they used them to teach young girls even back then. They learned marking linens, first.
AnneG

Thanks Anne! I really love this subject since I started reading a book about it - I just love them! Someday I'll get a chance to make one when I'm not working on a project as a gift!
Heather