I’ve noticed a Saturday trend here – this seems to be the day that I update my progress on the miniature Cluny tapestry project that I am crawling along on. The 15 Minutes approach works, albeit slowly. And lately, I haven’t had (or haven’t been taking, I’m not sure which!) as many short spurts to devote to this piece.
To recap, I have several projects going – the Wool Pomegranates, the Silk Jumble, and this Cluny piece – but they aren’t all conducive short bouts of stitching. The Wool Pomegranates and the Silk Jumble both require me to “get into” the project a bit. There are certain types of stitching (for me, anyway) that require working up a kind of “rhythm” of stitching, and getting the feel of the piece again (and the threads and the fabric) after being separated from them for a while. Plus, on those two projects, since they aren’t kits and I’m not following anyone else’s directions, I also have to test my way through them. This micro-Cluny project, though, is counted work in one stitch (tent stitch), following someone else’s pattern and color scheme, so I don’t really feel as if I have to “connect” in the same way with the piece every time I sit down to it. Do you know what I mean?
The Cluny project, then, is my 15 Minute Project. Even on busy days when I wouldn’t normally get in a longer stretch of stitching, I can at least grab it for a few minutes in between things and add a few stitches. Not only does this help rejuvenate me – I find embroidery relaxing – but it also serves as a carrot. I get other things done more efficiently when I want to squeeze in 15 more minutes here and there.
There is one hitch in this project, and I think that’s what’s slowed me down lately on it, but I’ve finally worked through it. I miscounted in the section right below this, between the organ and the lady on the left, so when those two elements met up above (the lady has her hands on the organ keyboard), I had to do a little adjusting to get things to work out right.
I also ended up adding a couple flowers under the organ against the black background, since that area ended up being larger than it is supposed to be, and it looked somewhat blank compared to the rest of the flower-bespeckled background.
But now all of that is over for a while (I’m sure there will be a little more adjusting in the next section up on the chart, but I’ll face that later!), so I should be able to make better progress on the project this week, if I use my time wisely!
First up this coming week on Needle ‘n Thread, I’ll go over how I made these fabric, paper, and embroidery gift boxes. Then I’ve got a couple (old) folk embroidery booklets to show you, and hopefully some monumental progress (ok, that’s a stretch!) on the Wool Pomegranates. A free hand embroidery pattern or two might sneak in there, as I’ve had some requests lately for some things.
I hate to mention that the super-sanguine part of me is wanting to start a whitework project that’s been brewing in my head.
Ok, forget I said that….
Leave A Comment