Time to do a little organizing!
If you’re following the Secret Garden Hummingbirds project that will develop in 2014 here on Needle ‘n Thread, you might want to bookmark this page.
To keep the upcoming articles on this embroidery project worked (with permission) from Johanna Basford’s book, Secret Garden: an Inky Treasure Hunt and Coloring Book, I’m creating this index, where I’ll list all the articles relating to the project chronologically, as they develop on Needle ‘n Thread.
This way, you’ll be able to follow the project easily, and you’ll also know where to go to find past articles.
The Index will be permanently listed under the Tips & Techniques tab on the main menu across the top of Needle ‘n Thread, categorized under Hand Embroidery Lessons & Step-by-Step Projects (which is where you’ll find all similarly developed projects listed, if you want to browse).
Secret Garden Hummingbirds – Articles List
- Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt & Coloring Book – introduction to the book
- Secret Garden Project Preliminaries
- Secret Garden Ground Fabric, Design Transfer, & Other Notes
- More on Design Transfer – Mistakes and Recoveries
- Testing Embroidery Threads
- Cotton Floche & More Thread & Design Musings
- Cotton Floche on a Flower Petal – more testing
- Cotton Floche vs. Coton a Broder – up close
- Comparison of Cotton Thread Sizes
- Comparing Cotton Threads, Stitched
- Framing Up the Project
- Comparing More Cotton Threads, Stitched
- My Thread Choice & Why, with Initial Color Choices
- Working out the Vines
- More Vines, with Stitching Tips
- Repurposing a Rack to Keep Project Threads Organized
- Starting & Traveling Threads for Stitching Efficiency
- Parking Embroidery Threads
- Embroidering the Center Vines
- Stem Stitch Filling Tips
- Stem Stitch Curls & Spirals
- Muting Vines with Brown
- Embroidering the Small Leaves
- Vines & Leaves Stitching Tips
- More Leaves, Musing & Pausing
- Fixing Small Leaves, Large Leaves Preview
- Long & Short Stitch Shading on Large Leaves
- More Leaves, Long & Short Stitch, and Fixing Mistakes
- The Thread Color I Didn’t Think Of – Yellow Outlines!
- Leaf Clusters & the Order of Stitching
- How to Simplify the Embroidery
- Leaf Order Comparison
- Two Leaves & The Whole
- Changing the Order of Shades in Long & Short Stitch
- Close to Finished with the Leaves! Almost There!
- The Green is Finished
- A Bit of Color: Starting the Flowers
- Flowers: Thread Colors & Stitch Details
- Flower Stitching Tips & Substitution Suggestions
- Pistil Stitch – Elongated French Knots – Tutorial
- Skewed Stitches
- Halfway Finished with the Flowers
- Secret Garden Photo Sharing & Project Stats So Far
- Flowers Five & Six – Almost finished!
- A Stitch Alteration on the Flowers & Some Tips for Hand Embroidery in General
- Re-Thinking some Secret Garden Embroidery Plans
- Embroidering the Last Flower
- Flowers Finished & Deciding Future Bird Colors
- First Stitches on the Hummingbirds
- Hummingbirds: Some Stitching & Un-Stitching
- Stitching the Scallops on the Hummingbirds
- Embroidery Scales on the Hummingbird – the first approach
- Adding a Little Texture on the Hummingbird – Neck Band
- Fiddling with Stitches on the Hummingbird Breast
- A Bit of a Tail – First Tail Section Complete
- Color List for the Hummingbirds
- Beginning the Wing
- The Hummingbird Wing, Continued
- The Wing Cap, Complete
- Feathers in Fishbone Stitch – Beginning
I’m so excited about this project, and I’m looking forward to developing it with you!