Welcome to the Needle ‘N Thread Gallery. Here, you’ll find a list of posts with pictures – including works in progress, tutorials, and any posts in with photos of embroidery.
Here’s my effort to recategorize my gallery! The problem is that many categories overlap. Still, I hope it’s easier to filter through the various photo posts of interest.
Ecclesiastical Embroidery & Goldwork
Photos of church related embroidery – many include examples of goldwork
- Silk on Silk and Satin Stitch: A stole embroidered in silk threads on Italian silk. Part I – close ups of each section of the stole. Part II – an image of the whole stole.
- Embroidered linen pouch with linens: a lined pouch, with initials and embellishment. Includes photos of linen pall.
- Goldwork on Blue – this includes a photo of gorgeous goldwork on blue velvet.
- Italian Stitch – an article on stitching in flat silks, couched over with gold passing thread.
- Textile and Embroidery Photos from Rome – some photos of different textile and embroidery tidbits from Rome.
- Agnus Dei Church Embroidery, part I – The beginnings of a work of church embroidery, with written steps on setting up a major project. Photos of stem stitch used as a filler.
- Goldwork Up Close – some upclose photos of a beautiful piece of cloth of gold embellished with goldwork.
- Agnus Dei Church Embroidery, Part II – an update on an ecclesiastical embroidery project which employs a variety of stitching techniques including needlepainting and goldwork.
- Agnus Dei Church Embroidery, Part III – another update on this ecclesiastical embroidery project, with the flat silk laid in for the sky.
- Agnus Dei Update #4 – half the sky (worked in flat silk) is couched with gold passing in this photo.
- Agnus Dei Embroidery Project – Update #5 – the halo and banner are completed.
- Agnus Dei Embroidery Project – Update #6 – The lamb is finished. Close-ups on the wool.
- Agnus Dei Embroidery Project – Completed – Close ups on the hill, flowers, and goldwork edge.
- Annunciation Cope – a magnificent example of needlepainted figures, with close-up photos.
- Crucifixion Chasuble – another gorgeous example of historic church embroidery. The needlepainting in this one is exquisite! Lots of close-ups.
- Cloth of Gold Stole – here are some close-ups on a cloth of gold stole that needs repair. The stole is beautiful, but unfortunately quite damaged.
- Embroidered Angel – a sample of ecclesiastical embroidery.
- Litany of Loreto Embroideries – ecclesiastical embroidery – some images of these embroidered panels that are both beautiful and interesting.
- Mantle of the Virgin – another image of a piece of historical ecclesiastical embroidery – the beautiful hood of a cope, worked in gold and silk on a linen ground.
- Image of the Sacred Heart worked in Goldwork and Silk – with some close-up examples of goldwork background, silk shading, etc.
- Hand Embroidered Prayerbook Cover – a cover I embroidered on linen for my niece’s prayer book for her First Communion. The article is in three parts, so you can see the progress on the piece. Shading techniques, etc. Beginning the project – includes setting up, framing the piece, and transferring the design. The Embroidered Crown – examples of raised work, and working with Gylt Silk Twist. Finally, the finished book cover, with close-ups of each element and commentary on how the cover was assembled.
- Pelican Altar Frontal – upclose pictures of an altar frontal, with shading techniques, plenty of goldwork, etc.
- Cope Hood with Goldwork and Shading – this includes figure embroidery, shading techniques, and goldwork.
- Last Supper Chasuble – lots of photos of figure embroidery, shading, and goldwork on a beautiful ecclesiastical piece.
- Processional Canopy – lots of photos of this piece of ecclesiastical work, which features some decorative medallions, angels, and lilies. The piece is in a sad state of disrepair, but the embroidery is still worth seeing!
Embroidery Supplies – Threads, Etc.
Photos of thread comparisons, embroidery supplies or accessories, product reviews, etc.
- Comparing Flat Silks – close up photos of two kinds of flat silk: Au Ver a Soie’s Soie Ovale and Eterna Silk.
- Comparing Silks, Part II – A comparison of flat silks: Eterna, Soie Ovale, and Japanese Silk.
- Needlework Stash – Ok, this isn’t exactly a project. It’s a bunch of photos of different types of threads used for hand embroidery. The colors are pretty!
- Twisted Silk Comparison – close-up photos of four different types of twisted silk threads.
- Twisted Silk – Close-up stitch examples in twisted silk threads.
- Needlework Stash Expansion – some photos of trims and such added to my needlework stash – includes photos of Mokuba trim and sari silk.
- Gilt Sylke Twist Testing Project – Strawberries! This could be placed under goldwork or even shaded techniques, but the purpose of the project was to test the new Gilt Sylke Twist. A project in several parts: The project underway – playing with Gilt Sylke Twist; update on strawberry stems and leaves – with examples and explanations of some “stumpwork” type techiques; satin stitched strawberry; couched lattice work across the strawberry; the first embroidered leaf; the completed embroidered strawberry – up close photos of different elements.
- Gilt Sylke Twist Strawberry Revisited – pondering the finish work: pictures of a possible setting for my Gilt Sylke Twist Strawberry project.
Photos of embroidery featuring whitework techniques, including monogramming
- Simple Stitches: Beautiful Results – whitework on linen, in very simple stitches (whipped backstitch, seed stitch, and satin stitch).
- White on White Hand Embroidery Revisited – white embroidery on white linen in simple stitches.
- Wheat Stitch – a video tutorial, but there’s a close up picture of wheat stitch worked on linen with white silk.
- Whitework – photos of some whitework pieces, some worked by me, some antiques I’ve collected.
- Hand Embroidered Monogram on Linen Guest Towel – so far, in three parts: Part I, Part II, and Part III. This is an oatmeal colored guest towel with a white monogram, so not properly “white work” (not white-on-white), but the techniques for this type of stitching are the same!
- Vintage Linen with Whitework Embroidery – here’s a pretty sample of a piece of vintage linen, with whitework embroidery and a very pretty crocheted lace edge. Also discussed is cleaning vintage linens.
- Needle Lace for Whitework – a small sample of needlelace, which is often featured in whitework, cutwork, etc.
- Finished Monogrammed Guest Towel – photos of the completed monogrammed guest towel.
- Needlework Frustrations – taking out some whitework mistakes. (It was a bad weekend of stitching – what can I say?)
- Drawn Thread Tutorial – a photo tutorial on securing the edge of a drawn thread area with satin stitching.
- Drawn Thread Tutorial – a photo tutorial of securing the edges of drawn thread work by re-weaving the withdrawn threads back into the fabric.
Historical Needlework, not Ecclesiastical
Photos of historical needlework techniques or reproductions, etc., that would not fall under the category of ecclesiastical embroidery
- Traquair House Needlepoint – some photos of a painted needlepoint canvas – not yet worked, but on my project list!
Embroidery Stitches, Patterns, or Photo Tutorials on Techniques
Photos showing specific embroidery stitches or demonstrating specific techniques for hand embroidery
- Satin Stitch – photos of satin stitch in goldwork and white work.
- Working with Solvy – Picture tutorial
- Embroidery Pattern Index – a selection of embroidery patterns for your personal use.
- Herringbone Stitch in the Round – an experiment with working herringbone stitch in circles on plain weave fabric.
- Chevron Stitch Mini-Sampler – a small sampler of chevron stitch, showing various ways of layering, etc.
- Lattice Work Sampler – a small lattice work square worked in flat silks for the background, along with the lattice work video.
- Algerian Eye Variation – Snowflakes – a tiny sample of a snowflakes in white silk on blue silk shantung, worked in a variation of Algerian Eye stitch.
- Seed Stitch – up close photos of seed stitch on the butterfly wings for a quilt square.
- Doodle Embroidery Designs – just some doodles that could work into fun embroidery sampler patterns.
- Transferring An Embroidery Pattern – photos of the prick & pounce method of transferring an embroidery design onto fabric. This is part of the Beetle Wing and Goldwork Embroidery project mentioned below in Embroidery for Fun.
- Rope Stitch – an up-close picture of the rope stitch, on the same page as the video tutorial.
- Detatched Buttonhole Stitch – upclose pictures of the detatched buttonhole stitch, along with a video tutorial.
- Woven Picots – upclose photos of the woven picot, along with a video tutorial.
- Roumanian Couching – up-close photos of Roumanian couching, along with a video tutorial.
- Bokhara Couching – upclose photos of Bokhara couching, along with a video tutorial.
- How to Frame Up an Embroidery Piece – a small photo tutorial on framing up a finished piece of embroidery.
- Photo Tutorial for Iron-on Transfers – ironing on a repeat pattern.
- Dressing a Slate Frame – an extensive photo tutorial for preparing a slate frame for hand embroidery.
- Setting Up Stretcher Bars – with a review of the Evertite Embroidery Frames – photos on setting up stretcher bars for embroidery work.
Embroidery for Fun
Photos of miscellaneous projects worked just for the fun of it, either to learn something or just to play
- Christmas Stocking – a blackwork design worked in gold on red velvet. A bit of a “tutorial” on a work in progress.
- Needlebook Project – this project is shown in progress over various stages: Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3… and it’s not completed yet, so more pictures to come!
- Embroidered Faces Pillow Cases – this was a fun project. Here, it’s not quite complete, but there are some close-ups.
- Completed Opposite Faces Pillow Cases – here are photos of the whilte embroidered pillowcase.
- More Pillow Case Shots – here are some close-ups on the black pillow case.
- Beetle Wing and Goldwork Embroidery, I – photos of the set-up of the project.
- Preparing Beetle Wings for Embroidery – the next step in the goldwork and beetle wing embroidery project.
- Goldwork Underway – the stitching begins on the beetle wing project.
- Beetle Wings and Goldwork – here, you’ll see most of the gold complete and the wings attached.
- Goldwork and Beetle Wings – finishing touches are added to the goldwork and beetle wing embroidery project.
- Silk Ribbon Embroidery on Small Storage Box – this was a kit project that I worked up one weekend. You can read about the pros and cons of this particular kit brand.
- Embroidery Kit from Country Bumpkin – striped linen bag – this is the beginning of a project I’m working on as a gift. It’s a beautiful embroidered garden scene, with butterflies and bugs. A work in progress.
- Canvas Work Sampler – a practice piece I worked up to try different canvas stitches and threads. This is in several parts: the beginning of the project – I didn’t like it at first, but it grew on me; another update; the (almost) finished piece.
Hand Embroidery on Paper
Photos of hand embroidery work done on paper
- Beaded Embroidered Greeting Card – embroidered greeting card using beads and thread, with design resources.
- Embroidered Embroidery Sign – – pictures of the sign I used to announce my summer embroidery classes; embroidered on paper with designs from Erica Fortgens embroidery on paper books. Part I – getting started. Part II – the finished sign.
- Designing Your Own Embroidered Cards – a simple tutorial on designing your own embroidered greeting cards.
- Quick and Easy Embroidered Birthday Card – a hand embroidered birthday card worked with stem stitch and ribbon embroidery.
Thread or Needle Painting, Shading Techniques
Photos of embroidery involving different types of shading
- Embroidered Eyes – a series on embroidered eyes using needlepainting techniques: Article 1 (human eyes), Article 2 (human eyes), Article 3 (stylized animal eyes).
- Needle Painting Sample – Close up photos of a completed needlepainting kit from Berlin Embroidery Designs – the Red Poll kit (bird).
- Silk Work Embroidery Sampler – the beginnings of our summer guild class project (Summer, 2007)
- Silk Work Embroidery Sampler Update – some progress photos on a silkwork sampler.
- Thread painting Peony-Type Dahlia – the beginning of the project.
- Thread Painting
Dahlia Update – some more progress on this needle painting project.
- Peony-type Dahlia Needle Painting – completed flower, with close-ups.
- Embroidered Iris – another needle painting project underway.
- Complete Embroidered Iris – the finished flower!
- Trish Burr’s Embroidery – Part I and Part II – some samples straight from designer and author, Trish Burr. Gorgeous examples of her beautiful shading techniques. Also, information on book publishing and so forth.
Embroidered Flowers, not shaded
Photos of embroidered flowers that are not worked in thread painting techniques (see thread painting above for those!)
- Hollyhocks – embroidered flower garden elements worked with simple stitches (buttonhole and satin).
- French knot flowers – an example of flowers from French knots, suitable for an embroidered garden.
- Embroidered Daisies – samples of flowers worked with the daisy stitch.
- Embroidered Flowers using Buttonhole Stitch – a variety of different, tiny flowers worked with buttonhole stitch.
Embroidery for Children
Photos of embroidery either done by children or done for children
- Basic Embroidery Stitches Sampler – a sampler made up to teach basic embroidery stitches to children and adult beginners.
- Embroidered Quilt Square – close ups of an embroidered quilt square for a baby quilt. Pattern is a little Dutch girl (in pink) with tulips. Simple pattern with basic embroidery stitches, and cute results!
- Sunbonnet Sue in a Garden – the completed square, worked on flannel, in a variety of stitches.
- Sunbonnet Sue in a Garden – Close ups on the Sunbonnet Sue quilt square I did for our guild quilts.
- Completed Embroidered Baby Quilts – these were a spring guild project this year (2007). We raffled the quilts to raise money for the guild.
- Embroidered Notebook Cover – Working up a sample of the notebook cover the kids are going to make in my classes this summer; these photos are the beginnings of the project.
- Completed Embroidered Notebook Cover – photos of embroidered notebook cover worked on wool felt, as a sample for this summer’s (2007) children’s embroidery project.
- Children’s Embroidery Projects – photos of embroidered notebook covers in progress during summer embroidery classes.
- More Children’s Embroidery Projects – some more photos from summer classes.
- Children’s Embroidery Projects – and still more photos of children’s embroidered notebook covers. A fun and easy project for beginners at any age!
- Summer, 2007 Embroidery Projects on Display – some photos of the display tables for this summer’s embroidery projects.
- Setting up a Children’s Embroidery class – not properly needlework photos, but still, some pictures of the set up I use for children’s embroidery, including some photos of foam thread organizers.
- Embroidered Felt Bookmark Sample – this is sort of a tutorial for making the felt bookmarks I used in the 2008 summer kids’ classes. The sample was stitched by my 7-year old niece.
- Hand Embroidered First Communion Dress – this is not exactly embroidery for children to do, but it is embroidery for a child’s dress. A gorgeous hand embroidered dress, made by my sister.
- Kids’ Embroidery Projects from Summer Classes, 2008 – Some photos of embroidered dishtowels, flour sack towels, and hankies from a summer embroidery class for children.
- Hand Embroidered Bookmarks on Felt – another children’s class project from summer, 2008.
Photos of needlework submitted by readers of Needle ‘n Thread
- Reader’s Embroidery – some photos of a reader’s embroidery peice: a flower medallion.
- Embroidered Crazy Quilt Piece from a Reader – some photos of another reader’s work: a crazy quilt postcard with an embroidered fuschia on it.
- Reader’s Embroidery: Embroidered Quilt – some photos of some beautiful embroidered quilt squares from a reader.
- Embroidered Strawberries on a Tea Cloth – a gorgeous strawberry tablecloth stitched by a reader from an Anchor / Fleur de Lys kit. Very nice!
- Two Hand Embroidered Tablecloths – photos of two beautiful hand embroidered tablecloths, both with flower patterns. They’re very colorful!
- Goldwork Rose – an exquisite example of goldwork in different techniques, including Or Nue.
- Cat at the Pond – embroidered with a mixture of threads, including floche; Rowandean Embroidery Kit.
- Japanese Pansies – beautifully worked in flat silks. Another stunning example of a reader’s pro
- Crewel Work Kit – Enchanted April – here’s a huge project of flowers and leaves and a big white bird, worked in crewel wools. Really pretty!
- An embroidered and embellished skirt – a hand embroidered skirt, embellished with beads and sequins!
- Embroidered Bookmark – this is an example of embroidery on paper, with resources.
- Embroidered Book Cover – a nice example of embroidering a book cover, using a variety of historical stitches and techniques.
- Needlework Kit Makeover – a reader re-makes a needlework kit, and does a better job!
- Small Study in Or Nue – this is a tiny piece of Or Nue, a goldwork technique in which gold threads are couched with colored threads to form a picture.
- Goldwork Pansy – a beautiful pansy worked in gold, featuring many goldwork techniques.
Leave A Comment